LFS want my goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xIHaKIx

Aquarium Advice Activist
First - My gold fish are getting to big for my ten gallon community tank, Pix in sig, click link, Do you guys think my LFS will take em? Im gonna be sad to see them go but it will allow me to get some more tetra's and maby a few snails.

The LFS may take them back. If they don't look around for businesses or residences with ponds.....they would probably take them off your hands.

I dont know exactly how much room that little 10 gallon will have for more fish once the goldfish are removed.. but it wont be much if any IMO..

It would be a good idea to check with the LFS to see if they will take your goldfish back.. I dont do this myself, I dont need to return fish, so I dont know how difficult it is. Plenty of people have done it.. so Im relitivly sure they will take them.. store credit is sometimes issued.. But personaly, I would be happy if they just took them from me..

I definitely wouldn't get any more fishes even if you bring the goldfish back.

With 5 female guppies (and male) you should soon have more than enough fishes in the tank! And if your platies are male and female it will make it even "worse" 8O .

I guess since your goldfish will be gone, the predators for fry will be gone as well :? .

Yea, but then maybe Ill be able to sell them to LFS for less then they get them.

But Idk, I wanna keep one gold fish cause the tank looks really empty without them in it.

Here is what I got in the tank and everyone is alive and well...

4females guppies
1male guppy

3goldfish
3 neon tetra (started out with ten :( )
2female platies
1male platie
2 otocinclus catfish
and a tiny tiny snail......

Based on your list of fish, all of the goldfish need to go. They are coldwater fish and really shouldn't be mixed with tropicals. Not to mention that they need a much larger tank. They will easily outgrow that tank in no-time. With the ratio of guppies that you have right now, expect many many fry. Not all fish stores will buy fish from customers. Of all of the stores that I purchase from (approximately 11), only 1 purchases fish from customers. And they only give 1/3 of the retail price. Plus, you have to grow the fry to a decent size before they buy them. I'd talk to the lfs and set up an arrangement for the fry prior to them breeding. Otherwise you'll soon have 50 fry and nowhere to put them.

I agree.. goldfish need a large tank of at least 30 gallons and about 15 gallons per fish. Although they are doing ok in your tank their growth is being stunted by keeping them there... I had a goldfish in a 5 gallon tank for 5 years before i knew anybetter and when i put it in my aunts outdoor pond it grew to 6" in no time.

Also as Fishyfanatic said, goldfish are coldwater and your other fish are tropical.. Gold fish prefer a temper more in the low 70's whereas tropicals usually like it kept about 75 (i keep my tank at 80)

Your tank looks beautiful, but if you want to add a "centerpiece" fish, you might like a male flame dwarf gourami, they only get about 2" and they are very colorful.

Back
Top Bottom