License to Kill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10g planted RCS breeding tank with a slight problem.......SNAILS!!! So, I will be near a big LFS on Thursday and I was wondering if I could pick up an Assassin Snail or 3 :snipersmile::snipersmile::snipersmile:. I'm over these Pond Snails, I'm not even feeding the RCS but every second day and they are still laying eggs. The food I put in for the shrimp is consumed so I'm not bombarding the tank with excess food. I also think Assassins are pretty cool looking, so their eating habits are just a plus. Are these guys safe to put in with a breeding colony of RCS or will they harm the shrimplets?

Thanks!

the pond snails are eating the decaying plant matter so even if you aren't overfeeding they're still going to keep multiplying. The assassins would definitely help keep their population in check though.

I figured that is what they were enjoying. I have plenty of plant leaves on the bottom, but didn't want to remove them because the RCS love the micro fauna they harbor.

Will they RCS juvies be safe with an Assassin Snail?

As far as I know the assassin snails only target other snails but I don't have any personal experience with them so I can't be certain.

I have a breeding pair of assassins and they have not to my knowledge bothered my rcs or their young. They do reproduce quicker than people say but not to fast (plus they are cool and can be sold).

Iknow for a fact my assassin snails never messed with my pregger crayfish or her young once they hatched and were freeswimming. I doubt they would target baby rcs as a prey item either IMO.

Okay, thanks everybody. I would kinda like to get a breeding pair since they can be sold. I think they are 20x better than Pond Snails.

I know what you mean. I got some Mts the other day and the owner mentioned how they might multiply. I just said assisins.lol he laughed and I laughed. Then some guys asked me what an assassin was. So I mentioned how it was a snail that ate other snails. He asked me why... I unno, they like them. I didn't know what to say.

MY favorite way to get rid of snails is loaches but probably not going to work with the RCS. A friend of mine had success getting rid of snails by taking a small glass jar, putting a lettuce leaf in the bottom and sinking it in the tank. The snails migrated to the jar. Just have to keep repeating. It will never get rid of all the snails though so have to repeat every so often. I have heard about 50/50 with assassins in reference to harming the RCS.

the assassins i had attacked my MTS colony, they kept it in check. they never harmed anything else, just annoying getting snail shells out of my tank afterwards.lol id deffinitley reccomend.

Back
Top Bottom