Lieutenant Tang, parasitic skin patches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My new Lieutenant tang has developed brown speckled patches over his body. He was only I the tank about a week. After about 2 days I finally managed to catch him and he is now in a quarantine tank dosed with copper. That was about 2 days ago and it seems to have spread more across his body, but he is eating. Should I be doing anything else and should I be worried about the other fish in the first tank?

Nitrates and Nitrites negligible, usually zero or hardly detectable. Calcium maintained at about 440, kH (alkalinity) at about = 8, ammonia between zero and 0.6 tops, Salinity 0.24, Magnesium around 1200 to 1280, pH 8.3, Phosphates = 0, Temp 25
In the tank I have built up over the last few months:
3 clowns
1 bi coloured Blennie
1 Purple tang
1 Blue tang
1 Yellow tang
1 Lieutenant tang
2 Golden headed Gobbies
1 Pixie Hawkfish
1 Royal Dotty
1 Foxface
1 Flame Angel
1 Harlequin tusk

These fish are all small (except the lieutenant tang).
I have a dozen or so frags (mostly polyps) and 2 anemones.

I feed them a pinch of flakes in the morning and about 1 tsp in the evening of chopped fresh mussel or frozen marine foods.

I have recently had a brown algae problem which I seem to have got under control by turning the lights off for 2 days and then down to 7 hrs a day.

One thing about tangs is that they are herbivores. Are you feeding them any greens like dried seaweed or spirulina. That seems like a pretty big bioload in such a quick time. I would suggest you are at your limit if you have not already passed it.

Back
Top Bottom