Light suggestions for a low-tech planted 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking for a light for my low tech 55 gallon planted. I'd like to have the brightest light I can get that will grow plants, but I don't want it so bright that I'll need Co2 and have algae issues. I'd prefer LED, but that is not a must. Id also prefer non DIY

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

What plants? Current sat plus will give you pretty low light but it will look nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I went back and forth between the Current Satellite and the Finnex Stingray. Ended up with the Stingray 48". Light looks great, but now I'm debating whether or not to go a bit more high tech with my setup. I think I'm developing n+1 syndrom.

I've got various crypts, Java Fern, hornwort, Amazon swords, aponogeton, anubias nana, and bacopa monnieri (spelling?)

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I still like the sat plus over the stingray, stingray may push a little more par but I like being able to control the spectrum.

I still like the sat plus over the stingray, stingray may push a little more par but I like being able to control the spectrum.

What is the (approx) cost difference between the two fixtures?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fixed the second link.
Yes, significant price difference. You could almost buy two stingrays for that price.
Pros: Better light spread, more PAR (although you can put the fixtures on two separate timers and reduce duration over lap), more secure mounting
Cons: Less spectrum control

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm looking for a light for my low tech 55 gallon planted. I'd like to have the brightest light I can get that will grow plants, but I don't want it so bright that I'll need Co2 and have algae issues. I'd prefer LED, but that is not a must. Id also prefer non DIY

Fishobsessed7

I have the finnex stingray and it works great on my 55

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom