Lighting 3 gal tank????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikedurrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anybody got nay ideas on lighting my 3 gallon crab tank (palludarium)? I have a small 3 gallon tank which is 12x8x8 inches, the hood is a thin plastic moulded jobby which weighs very little, i'm having trouble figuring out how to light it well. I managed to find some 9inch arcadia t8 lighting tubes which should fit in with the end caps on the tube....?? :?

Anybody got any ideas on what to do, is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Mike :D

mikedurrant...

Is it safe to say that the hood has a standard incandescent light fixture in it and not fluorescent? You might consider one of the screw-in CF lights. I've seen them in my lfs for about $10.00 US.

Fruitbat said:
mikedurrant...

Is it safe to say that the hood has a standard incandescent light fixture in it and not fluorescent? You might consider one of the screw-in CF lights. I've seen them in my lfs for about $10.00 US.

The hood has no fixtures in it whatsoever, it is a thin plastic hood that sits on the top of the tank overlapping at the edges, so any light I put in will need a fitting putting in too. I'll take a picture later and post it if possible.

Cheers,

Mike.

I would say just get one of those desk lamps that have the bendy shafts, put a nice bulb in it and just arrange it where it shines down over the tank.

William said:
I would say just get one of those desk lamps that have the bendy shafts, put a nice bulb in it and just arrange it where it shines down over the tank.

I thought about doing that, but the hood is black plastic and I don't fancy having a non-covered tank with a crab in it, don't fancy waking up with him tucked up in my bed. :?

Then go to your local home depot/lowes/whatever.

Get a piece of clear acrylic, cut to fit the top of your tank. Boom, done :p

Back
Top Bottom