Lighting Cycle Poll - What time does your light come on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What times do you run the lights in your planted tank?

• With the natural cycle of the sun (sun up to sun down)

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • From the time I usally get home (late afternoon until 12 hours later)

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Mid afternoon until midnight (so I can see it the hours I am home)

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Random hours and/or whenever I feel like it

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I mimic dusk/dawn(1/2 bulbs off two hours before all lights are off and use moon lights)

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters
you could always try 8-10 hours and go from there. none of my tanks get direct sun light but your right about different peoples definition will be different.

Mine is a fairly new planted tank and I've been researching Co2.... but so far I have a 10,000k 65w power compact that I've been running from about noon to about 8:00. I also have a regular 15w Halogen sun-glo i run when I wake up until bed. (around 10:00pm) After all is off there is a small LED moon light effect that runs all night. I wish I could say more about how it is working. The tank has been set up for about 45 days and the tank has been planted for about two weeks and so far no algae or anything. All seems to look good so far. :)

is it a bad idea if sunlight directly penetrates the tank?

I have my lights in the tank on from about noon to midnight - sometimes 3pm -midnight. in the morning, there is so much sunlight from the sunrise entering the rooms where my tank is. i live in an apartment in nyc with floor to ceiling windows.
I will invest in some shades for these 2 rooms especially to cut back on my rooms getting really hot in the summer. i had a scare when my water temp went from 80 to 88 when it was in the 90s that weekend.
dont have any algae issues besides minor cases where i have to use a magnet to wipe it off once a week or so.

Everything I read said it should be avoided but mostly due to heat concerns. If would say if you don't have a problem and your temps are good, run with it!

Another Idea I recently got from a random aquarium plant book was to have a "siesta period" My tank comes on in the morning from about 9-2 then from 2-4 its off and then back on from 4-9. The growth rate of the plants hasn't seemed to change but the algae seems to have lessened significantly and it allows me to see my tank in the morning and at night instead of one or the other.

I like to let the natural light come into my house for two hours before I have the timer set to turn on. This way it's not just a dark to full brightness transition and it's a little more natural.

mine doesn't go on till noon. that way the room is pretty well light up. my pleco and raphael catfish FREAK out when the light snaps on when its too dark.

Back
Top Bottom