Lighting for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaggey

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 energy saver light bulbs (23w=100w) for my 50 gallon aquarium. I have java moss, another moss and another lower light plant (forget the name).

2 questions:

1. Is that lighting sufficient?
2. Would lighting made for aquariums be any better? If so, why?

Are they screw in spiral CFL bulbs, or U shaped CFL bulbs, and what kind of fixture are they in? It is all about reflectors when it comes to this type of lighting as these bulbs are made for area lighting but you are interested in getting as much light as possible into the tank.

If you have some good reflectors with them, I would call it extremely low light, but probably sufficient to grow some mosses and other very low light plants.

Lighting made for aquariums... it depends. There are some real crap lights out there that are "made for aquariums". If you went with a quality fixture with good reflectors that utilized T5HO bulbs, or went with some CREE LEDs, then yes it would be much better. But it would also change the requirements of your tank. Well-reflected T5HOs put out more PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation), especially at depth, which is a measure of how much light is available for your plants to utilize for photosynthesis. The penetrating power of a spiral CFL would be extremely low when compared to a T5HO bulb, even if it was the exact same wattage.

As you add additional PAR to the tank though, you have to take precautions. Plants uptake other nutrients more quickly when there is more available light, and you can quickly bottom out on these nutrients, which then manifests itself as deficiencies of your plant health, and excess algae growth (Algae uses the same nutrients as more complex plants, and can often capitalize on nutrient imbalances better than plants because they are simpler organisms). If you add a bunch of extra light, you have to balance that out with additions of fertilizer and carbon supplementation, either in the form of injected CO2 or glutaraldehyde.

IMO, skip the house lights and get some actual aquarium fixtures/lights. I've always read that light bulbs for homes should be left for the house, unless u have a small tank. 50 gallons is a lot of surface area and depth to cover; plus light has to be strong enough to penetrate thru water column. It can absorb light too.

I would tend to agree that it is hard to successfully light a large tank using CFLs but if all you want in the tank is moss and low light plants it can be successful.

I really don't want to spend $150 on a new lighting fixture.

They are the screw in bulbs, off some cheap homemade hood for them(bought it used). All I have is java moss and another type of low light plant.

Try it for awhile. It might work out ok. If you start to see lighting deficiencies manifest in your plants, you know you need something more powerful. I will say that you are on the extreme low end of low light for a tank of that size with just 2 CFLs.

You can get a decent light for well less than $150 by the way. fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

That's what I figured, the lighting between that and my 30 gallon that has a fluorescent is night and day.

Thanks for the info

I notice some of the plants are already turning brown, would they turn green again with lighting or is it to late?

Depends on how far gone they are. Most likely that's lighting. Might be time to upgrade if you want to keep live plants in the 55.

If you want to stay in low light a single bulb T8 strip with a good bulb will keep you there and will grow low light plants very well, given you also supply the plants with the nutrients they need. They are cheap.

Would a T5 fluorescent light do the trick? In addition to what I already have.

Back
Top Bottom