Lighting Purchase - Need Feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinokath

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I posted this in another location and the topic seemed to stray from my intention of getting advice on a particular fixture:

Nova Extreme 48 inchT-5 Fixture 2x54W FW: Aquarium Supplies - Aqua Buys

Anyone have this model or heard anything about the company, good or bad?

The main reason I am asking is because I saw this on eBay:

48" T5 HO Aquarium Light Cichlid 108W Odyssea 2x54W NEW - eBay (item 290304558274 end time Mar-28-09 12:16:51 PDT)

Did some research on the brand and read about issues with overheating and fires! I tried to find any information I could on the Nova Extreme I listed in the first link above and didn't see anything bad (or good).

Don't need to burn my house down so I am asking around to see if anyone has experience with this brand.

Thanks in advance!

Dean

I currently have a odyssea 130w 24" right now, and its holding up pretty well. I bought it a few years ago for like $50ish. I looked recently and prices jumped up quite a bit, but I'm pretty happy with it. I changed out the fans, because the old ones were loud, and one died. I had to put some heat shrink over some of the wiring because I installed the lighting cap upside down, putting stress on the wiring (it broke in a few spots)

As for the nova. If I had unlimited budget, Nova would be the way to go, but sadly this isn't the case. You shouldn't worry about burning your house down. Most cases where some sort of fire starts is with metal halide bulbs, because they get so hot.

Yep, working on putting one together. Have had a tank since I was 8, with the help of the dad. That's almost 30 years now (wow, time flies) and have always wanted to do a planted tank but never had the $$ to do it. Not that I am rolling in the dough now or anything, but I feel like I can finally afford to get into a hobby I really love a whole lot more and do it right.

Does anyone have any of the lights mgamer posted links to?

Mgamer - Do you have these lights? Do you like them? What about heat? Thanks!!

Dean

I personally use current USA fixtures but have heard great things about CA products.

T5HO is the way to go if you can afford it -- great lighting for the planted tank.

So Current Nova lights seem to be reputable? Anyone else out there have an opinion on the Current Nove Extreme X2 series? Thanks again all.

Dean

Back
Top Bottom