Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furrymurray

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 20g tall with low light plants such as water sprite, java fern, bronze wendii etc. I want my plants to thrive and the LFS is clueless about plants The bulb I currently have is a powerglo 15watt. I have been researching different lighting and its a little overwhelming. Should I get a different bulb? If so, what should I get? Completely change my lighting/canopy everything? If so, change it to which kind? Thanks for everyones input

I would go with a new light fixture if you plan to get serious with planted tanks. A single bulb t5ho, dual t5no, or possibly a dual t5ho (a little overkill) are a good start. There are some cheap oddysea dual t5ho fixtures in 24" length on ebay. Do note that this may put you in the higher light range, though, so be prepared to start dosing ferts/co2 or raise the fxiture off the tank a little bit. You could also put a light diffuser across the top. IME it's easier to decrease light intensity than it is to increase it.

Back
Top Bottom