Lighting setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBTetraguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im currently researching upgrading my systems lighting. Currently I have a 29 gallon tank with a 20 watt tube, Im running CO2 (the cool Hagen hang on kit) that has made a measureable difference in just a few days. I am planning on upgrading the hood to a 55 watt bright kit from AHS (thanks to the wonderful people on this board for providing that link). If its necessary, or prefferable I can upgrade to 110 watts but it will require alot of work on my hood (basically building a new one), if the lights wont damage lexan or plexiglass I have those available too me quite easily and I can cut them to closely fit the fittings/filter etc on the tank. My question is, is it worth the trouble to get a 500% increase in lighting or is thta overkill?

Thanks in advance for your help
Drew

Unfortunately, I don't know that much about the light requirements for a planted tank. I do have a little experience with PC lighting though. First, AH Supply is a good place to order from. You might, since you're using 55w bulbs, be able to save some money if you want to by using a 2x32 electronic ballast from Home Depot or Lowes to run them ($20 at Lowes). A 4x32 (about $30) will run two of the 55 watt lights.
PC's, no matter what anyone trys to tell you, get HOT. You will need some good vents at the very least and I would recommend a fan. You can get one at Radio Shack. Champion Lighting has one for about $35 also I think.
You can use the acrylic in the canopy...the bulbs won't get hot enough to damage it as long as the canopy is well vented. Not much of an answer I know, but maybe it'll help a little.
Logan J

Drew,

I was going to add a DIY co2 system to my tank. The light for my tank is currently 2wpg. It was suggested that the co2 really wouldn't benefit the plants much without more lighting, and in fact the additional lighting would be better than adding co2 anyway. So instead of getting a co2 system, I'm going to get another 2wpg first. Since the 55 watt kit would be under 2 wpg, I'd recommend that you get the 110 watt kit. Your plants would love that light.

I bought the 2x55w kit from AH Supply. Great company. They also have plans for building a hood but you have to ask for the plans. Not sure how long your 29g tank is, but it might help you design a hood.

You want to get it up to over 2 watts per gallon, preferably over 3. My tank is a 90, and I have a 4 strip VHO retrofit kit from hellolights.com (440 total watts). Had to build my own canopy, wasn't that hard, but you do need some tools.

Both Mitch and Drew--I would suggest doint the DIY co2 regardless of your watts per gallon, I believe it does help anyway. DIY co2 is the easiest project ever, but keeping up with it is a pain, tou gotta change the mixture every 2 weeks or so.

THanks for the advice

Thanks for the information guys. As far as the CO2 goes, Ive had the Hagen system on the tank for a few days and I already see results (those lil oxygen bubbles on the bottoms of the leaves wherent there before, and the color of the plants has improved. Ive had experience with plants for quite some time, just not any aquatic varieties. I think I will go with the 110 watt light kit, as for building a hood Im an aircraft inspector who used to be an aircraft sturctures mechanic, shouldnt be a big deal to build the hood, will just require some materials aquisition. Thanks for the advice about the PC bulbs heat and ventalation requirements that will help me in setting designing the new hood. I cant begin to tell you fellas how much this site has helped me. Id tried fish keeping before had I had this forum before I believe I would have been far more successful in my previous endeavors.

Drew

Tell you what, my VHO flourescents get really hot also. before summer I think I'll have to retrofit my canopy with a small fan

I cant begin to tell you fellas how much this site has helped me. Id tried fish keeping before had I had this forum before I believe I would have been far more successful in my previous endeavors.

I think you speak for alot of us here. I have a lot of experience, but this board (and some other sites) have improved my success tremendously. :lol:

I think you will do quite well with what you are planning!

Paul,
I noticed one thing that hasn't been mentioned here. I don't know for sure, but I'll bet you have the answer. What temp bulbs should he use for best results with the plants. 5000k or 6500k? Or would it be better to mix them?
On the subject of fans...Radio Shack has a 110v fan that would probably do the job. I bought the larger 12v fan. It measures 4.72" and moves 85 cfm...considerably more than the 110v fan. Radio Shack also has some small transformers that will run the 12v fans. This one pulls 320mA so I figure a 400mA power supply will do the job. Why? I like the idea of less 110v power in the canopy...the 12v won't kill you if you get into it. Just a thought.
Logan J

Great idea on the Lighting Logan, I can use some spare PC cooling fans I have around here with one of those radio shack adapters that should make for some nice ventilation.

I will keep you guys posted on how the tank is doing, right now Im having some minor chemical problems, cant seem to get the nitrites to fall, even though Im detecting slowly increasing nitrates the nitrites slowly rise after each water change too instead of falling gradually as I had expected them too, maybe Im just impatient tho, two major benefits of this hobby are stress relief (sometimes) and learning patience

Drew

I will keep you guys posted on how the tank is doing, right now Im having some minor chemical problems, cant seem to get the nitrites to fall, even though Im detecting slowly increasing nitrates the nitrites slowly rise after each water change

Duckweed!!!

Small floating plant, multiplies like crazy, sucks nitrite and nitrate outta the water like a sponge! You usually get some with plant purchases at the LFS whether you want it or not. It has to be scooped out on a regular basis, it multiplies so fast.

As for color temp, (or spectrum, whatever) of bulbs, I don't think it matters much. I've read many different things, and my conclusion is that intensity (watts per gallon) is far more important than the spectrum. I know this is important in reefing, but it just doesn't seem to make that much diff. with planted tanks.

I think you'll do fine with the 110 watt kit, DBT. Keep in mind to paint the inside of the hood/canopy you build with white paint, it will reflect a lot of light down into your tank so you don't lose intensity.

Sure seems like you are doing your homework, you should get great results when you are done.

The aluminum tape is a great idea and something I have readily available to me, awesome idea. As for the duckweed, I kinda like that idea, any precautions on water level etc for its use? I ask because I currently fill my tank to just above (about an eight inch above) my upper frame, that gives me a good inch or so of airspace under the hood.
Drew

I don't think you cand do anything wrong with duckweed, the stuff is unkillable. It is very flat on the surface of the water, so it wo't grow up into the lights or anything.

I doubt you'll be keeping goldfish or koi, but they are the only fish I know of that eat duckweed. I cant even keep it in my pond, they eat it so fast.

Corvus,

I have another species to add to the list that loves to eat duckweed. Id say within 2 hours of putting about 10% surface coverage on my tank it was gone my Buenos Aries Tetras aka Hemigrammus caudovittatus, absolutely loved it. My girlfriend got a huge kick out of watching me scold them for eating my duckweed, and it was amusing to watch for .25 cents. Eh it was a cheap lesson learned, and an unintentional overfeeding that occured, and it was very amusing to watch. Its funny the little guys (I have three of them) love the duckweed and this other unknown plant I have (havnt found it in one of my books yet, but its long, slender and has small broad leaves that turn from green to reddish). Anyway, they seem to leave my amazon swords alone. Im thinking of relocating these lil fellas to another tank, they are rather aggressive towards the other fish, and they are a menace to the plants Id like to keep. If nothing else, it gives me an excuse to get another tank hehehe. Any other suggestions on a survace plant, for the time it was in the aquarium, I loved the duckweed, was a nice effect on lighting, and its pretty.

Drew

I finally got the lights set up, 110 watt bright kit, wasnt too hard to install. The aquarium looks much better, waiting to see how the plants grow now.

Drew

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom