Lighting Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLOODMAN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First I want to say Thanks to all for providing so much information and support to us newbies. I have quietly been lurking on this site for half a year now planning my first salt water tank. I just ordered my custom sized tank and now I on to planning the lighting but I need a little help. My tank is 66 inches wide, 20 inches front to back, and 33 inches deep. Initially, I want to go with fish and live rock but eventually want to get into the soft corals and other light demanding invertebrates. My thought was to have 3 metal halides (2-250 watt and 1-400 watt) supplemented with PC actinics, but I am unsure on the 6,500/10,000/20,000K issue. Can you please tell me what will be the best.

Thanks

It depends on what kind of look you are going for. The 10K buld should be a white color. The 6500k bulb will probably be a whitish/yellow tinted color and the 20k bulb will most likely be blue tinted. If I were you (I am not and this is my preference) I would go with a 10k with the pc actnics. You could also do vho actnics and cut down on temp a little. I would also recommend getting some fans to cool your MH. HTH

Back
Top Bottom