Lighting system advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbhfd4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

A month or so ago I decided to ditch plastic plants and get some real one. I started out basic with the Amazon Sword plant.

I did a bunch of research before hand because I have a very low tech tank. When I put the plants in I had a basic gravel substrate, the basic LED light that comes in the Marineland 10g kit. I was using no ferts or tabs for about a week.

Another forum member recommended Seachem Flourish Excel. I have been dosing that in my tank 2-3 times a week and after water changes.

This past weekend I switched out my gravel substrate and added Floramax (what a messy project but it looks great!) I am still dosing Flourish Excel and I Have added root tabs.

Through out this time I have only had 1-2 dead leaves and a handful that were starting to brown, but no complete losses :)

Although they seem to be doing well I feel they could be doing better as Ive seen them become pretty big. The only thing that is different from me and other planted tanks I've seen is the lighting system and a CO2 systems. A CO2 system is not in the card right now but I did find a decent light that should help plant growth. https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Hidden-Strip-Light-21-Inch/dp/B007Y5XYHK

Has anyone used these and do they help? What else can be recommended.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom