lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ojmenard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I dont have the money to spend on MH lights right now. So besides those what would be next best lighting to get for 55g reef tank. I know without the MH i wont be able to have certain corals. But for now I was thinking of getting some PC lights. what wattage should I get to get to the bottom of the tank. Or should I be looking at a different light all together.

Dont worry too much about wattage. Get something with some intensity like T5`s. There`s not much you cant get if you have a good T5HO system.

ok so for a 55g tank what should i be getting. I know nothing about T5 stuff. I only know alittle about the MH and PC from what I have been reading. Havent seen much about the T% lights other than people use them and like them. Havent seen anything on how to determine which ones to get.

What are the dimensions of your tank and what would you like to keep coral-wise?

tank is 48 x 21 x 12.5. As far as what I want to put in tank. Honestly what ever I can without spending $600 dollars on lights. Right now it just has the plain flourescent lights on it. Of course nothing is in the tank yet but water and sand right now. gonna start getting some rock this weekend I think. So I am totally into the advice from you guys here. Im not in a great hurry to get everything done at once.

So I am totally into the advice from you guys here.

You sure know how to bring out the creativity. So anyways, if you don't want to spend a small fortune I'd run a Tek2, AquaIllumination, or IceCap 4x54w retrofit.

ok so it seems i need to get some T5 lights. I am assuming the retro kits are to change my existing reg flourescent lights. If I were to just buy a new set of T5 lights would I want 2 24 inch lights or 1 48 inch light. Do I want 4 6 or 8 bulbs. what color bulbs. and what the **** is this i keep seeing about moonlighting? Is that something I should be looking into. To many choices here. I like things simple lol.

If you want simple then purchase one of the following I mentioned: 4x54w (all 54w bulbs are 48") Tek2, IceCap, or AquaIllumination. Check ReefGeek.com. If you are not "handy" and want a fixture that is plug-and-play the cost will go up.

Back
Top Bottom