Linckia laevigata - blue starfish lossing color and skin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2revup

Aquarium Advice Activist
as the title suggests i have had him for some time now about 6 or so months and he had done great pretty active also.
still doing well actully but the thing is if you have seen a Linckia laevigata they have rasied dots on them, mine is starting to loose some of them and where these are lost he is becoming a very dark blue in only these spots.

The only thing i can think of is about 3 weeks ago he grased him self or something had a chew and took a some skin off (seems to be healing ok)
the other thing is i have been using some REEF safe medications to medicate white spot.

any ideas?

I don't know much about them, but check your water. They are not as hardy as others, and water params effect them easily, I believe temp/pH and such. Did you just do a water change?
What are you treating the tank with? I know you said white spots, does that mean ich?

I could be wrong, but reef safe might not exactly mean invert safe....

the LFS did explain it was invert safe.
water has been tested and is perfect 0 amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate ph 8.3 temp is stady and dosnt move from it always has been.

by white spot i mean ich

cheers

the LFS did explain it was invert safe.

Ok, what exactly is the product you are using?
IME, it is better to ask around and get different feedback from the forum members as to what meds to use and their success/failure. I didn't do this and lost my clown.

The only thing i can think of is about 3 weeks ago he grased him self or something had a chew and took a some skin off

What else do you have in the tank?

I found that putting my critter list in the "my info" button, helps so that other members can look there and see what you have, so you don't have to keep telling people what you have.

I found that putting my critter list in the "my info" button, helps so that other members can look there and see what you have, so you don't have to keep telling people what you have.

good idea i think i will do that

fish list
1 blue tang
1 cleaner wrasse
3 blue/green chromies

invert
5 hermet crabs
2 turbo snalls
1 inka

Ann/corals
Purple tip
open brain
polyops

products that are supposly reef safe (confirmed by several lfs)
tri sulfa and vertaid.

thanks in advanced

Not to sure about corals, but maybe he got stung by sweeper tentacles?

tri sulfa
Active Ingredients:
Each packet contains 400mg Sodium sulfathiazole, 100mg Sodium sulfamethazine and 100mg Sodium sulfacetamide.
Looks like a lot of salt...whats your salinity?
Actually, I have been looking everywhere and it seems these two meds are used in conjunction:
vertaid
tri sulfa
I have not seen anywhere that the folks have used them in their main (I know you don't have a QT), but I did see mention of this possibly killing off some good bacteria.
It could be possible that the combination of the two could be the cause.
Does any one else have definitive answers?

Maybe you have one of these in your tank:
should be carefully monitored for the presence of a small parasitic snail, Thyca crystallina.

my starfish is now losing al of its skin what can i do?

It could have a vibrio bacterial infection. Most times these are fatal but recovery is possible. I've also read that these infections can spread to other stars if the tank so be watchful. You need to separate the star to a hospital tank for observation and treatment. Treat with an antibiotic med such as Furan-2 or some other Furan type antibacterial medicine. These infections can be caused by injuries, picking, handling, etc. If you do attempt to treat, be sure to keep the star well fed with a variety of foods and the QT tank as pristine and stress free as possible.

thanks, i will post a pic tonight. looks like i will have to empty the qt, there is copper in it.... aaaaaah i hate this if only i had lots of money and space.

Really? It lost all his blue skin? What color is it now? Im just curious how it looks without its skin. Can u post a pic?
it looks painful, he is all white flesh under the skin.

If you've had copper in the QT, I wouldn't put him in there. A rubbermaid tub with a powerhead is sufficient for QT. Good luck, I hope he pulls through.

If you've had copper in the QT, I wouldn't put him in there. A rubbermaid tub with a powerhead is sufficient for QT. Good luck, I hope he pulls through.

mee too
cheers for the help

Back
Top Bottom