Lionfish in a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Genix

Aquarium Advice Regular
my LFS has baby volitans about 2 inches long. i'm planning on a 130 gallon tang in less than a year (hopefully a lot less). now these baby lions have been there for over a month and i haven't noticed them growing at all. i was curious as to how long i might be able to keep on in a 20 gallon if i kept him underfed. any ideas?

Seriously, look what your saying. Talking about underfeeding, taking short cuts by not getting a proper tank size for the animals you want. You should do some more reading before posting something like that.

If you were getting the tank in a month i'd say go for it, but not that long. Lionfish are something you'd also want to make absolutely sure you'll have the bigger tank later on, you don't want to get stuck with one and no tank.

Even being underfed (which shouldn't be done) it'll outgrow the tank soon.

DragonForce said:
Seriously, look what your saying. Talking about underfeeding, taking short cuts by not getting a proper tank size for the animals you want. You should do some more reading before posting something like that.
some fish grow more quickly or slowly than others. i'd rather look stupid than like an arrogant ass.

maybe i should reword my question...
how long can i keep a 2 inch lionfish in a 20 gallon tank if i feed sparingly?

Not long...... Volitans grow very fast, a 2 inch juvenile will grow 8-10 inches in the first year and should reach around 15 inches by the time they are 18 months.

A young Volitan will not survive if you feed it feed sparingly & the waste this fish will produce your 20g will not be able to handle.

Wait for the larger tank, this fish has large fins and will stress in small confined area.

Here is a good article: Keeping Lionfishes by Calfo and Fenner for you to read
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i2/lionfish/keeping_lionfishes.htm

Kaye

wait there will be more of them. Plus the bioload of a meat eater in that small of a tank wouldnt help either. Yes they grow very fast. Make sure and read that article link. Patience is a virtue. good luck

Back
Top Bottom