Lionhead with body damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My white lionhead, Bubby, has some significant damage tonight. Appears to be missing scales and on one side, you can see red.

image-3673037149.jpg

image-3150376170.jpg

Does this look like fish aggression damage or illness, please?

image-3875167706.jpg

image-2542595863.jpg

image-3199231073.jpg

Did this happen overnight or has it been gradual? Have you noticed him being chased, pushed around or bullied by the other fish? Those treasure chests in the back look a bit dangerous especially if he is getting pushed around. The missing scales are not a big deal- they will heal with nothing special other than time & healthy water. The redness is a bit concerning though because it looks like its underneath the skin- is this the case or is just a flesh wound? You can apply a topical such as BioBandage daily to help prevent infection if its just a flesh wound. If its areas of redness underneath the skin, I would opt for a course of Medi-Gold.

Well, I am spending a lot of time at my parents' and my husband has had all the tanks to maintain. But we are pretty sure it was overnight.

The chest is smooth porcelain - no edges, all rounded and finished. I just added it Tuesday. So I thought it was safe and can see how I may be totally off.

The spot on his yellow "cheek" might be underneath. The other one is open.

Thank you, jlk. You're awesome.

Ok, I would ask your husband to keep an eye on everyone to see if he is being bullied or chased or bumped at all and that the wounds dont start to become infected/fuzzy. Its a bit too coincidental that you only just added the chests and he now has some injuries. Its also possible he may have swam into one of them and got stuck and panicked, injuring himself trying to get out. Goldies will swim into the oddest places and get stuck in, under or behind things you would never even suspect is possible. :)

That is the best possible outcome - removable chest vs. serious issue.
I will ask him and remove it.
I am so glad you and the forum are here!!

Thank you! Keep us posted on how he is doing (or what your husband reports.... I know mine has NO clue about fish)- you just want to make sure you catch any problems before they become a more serious issue. :)

Will do!

By the way, I have a Pearlscale now.

I gave the orange telescope to a couple nearby that really wanted her. She lives with a fantail in a 30. :)

I love this one too!

image-4138821312.jpg

Back
Top Bottom