List of Low-Medium Light Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have a list or wanna shed some light? (No pun intended) Or is there even such a thing?

Considering you have about 6 watts of lighting you should be able to keep just about any coral you like as long as you have mixed daylight and actinic spectrum.

Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 1 x 96 watt
Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm : 1 x 96 watt

So Im good to go?

Looks good to me. If you are just getting started with coral check my info for some good starter corals that should do excellent in that lighting.

Before you start adding anything how long has the tank been up and running? What are your current inhabitants/plans?

Well coral is going on hold while my fish are in a QT for 8 weeks due to ick. Thanks for all the help though. Tank has been up for about 8 weeks.

Right now its got 45lbs of LR
BTA
Coral Banded Shrimp
8 Turbo Snails

Good idea, what type of fish do you have? May want to update the "myinfo" area so you tank is already described.

Personally, I would wait until about 6 months before adding many corals to ensure tank is somewhat matured. How is BTA doing? I would say it is a bit early for any anenome as well. many say wait until at least 1 year, 6 months at earliest.

Even though tank may have arleady cycled they still go through a lot of changes the first 3-6 months while they are mauturing especially with a smaller tank.

Good luck,

BTA is alive and healthy, eats well. There are 2 clowns that are hosting it as well.

I keep my water quality high, test every other day.

2 ocellaris
2 chromis
1 coral beauty

but they are all in the QT for now

Did you 'seed' your tank from someone else's? I mean take a few chunks of LR and scoops of his/her substrate? If you did, you may be ok to add corals in a month or two.

What about your live rock? Did you get it uncured in the mail or from the LFS? That can make a big difference in how long it takes to cycle and/or mature your tank. Even if you buy 'pre-cured' LR mailorder, you must cure it again due to dieback in the shipping process.

If you stated from scratch, brand new substrate, almost sterile rock, I would wait at LEAST 6 months before you try and add coral as your water parameters will bounce all over the place when the fish are added to a system that small.

Once your fish are in there, and if you are testing every couple of days, if everything is stable after a couple of months, you should be able to start off with some corals. I would recomend trying them out in this order:

Here is a BASIC list of corals for you to try:

Mushrooms - low to med light, very easy to keep, will spread over time

Zoos - med light, very easy to keep, but they will spread like weeds.

leather corals - med to high light, not to hard to keep

LPS - torch, frogspawn, brain, etc - high light, try these much later, water must be great.
I would try frogspawn or bubble, they seem to be more forgiving.

SPS - acropora, scroll, etc - very high light, try these last, water must be perfect, all the time. Good luck - I have only been able to keep a scroll coral frag growing in the top 1" of my tank

I would stay CLEAR of ANY coral that is "no light requirements" These need to be fed each and every day, since they are non-photosynthetic. You can easily foul your water in a tank that small by over doing it.

These are most gorgonians, sun polyps, chili coral, carnation corals and the like.

Hope this helps

David

Back
Top Bottom