Little Black Looking Bugs on Acro Frag??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1brent1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Please help.

I noticed a couple little TINY black looking bugs moving around the base of one of my acro frags plugs. To small to take a photo of. What could they be and how much should I worry.

I noticed why moving from one tank to another, the one tank was a bit warmer which I believe is why the tiny little guys came out. Otherwise you don't see them.

Thanks,
Brent

Any chance you can be more specific, in your description?

they're tiny, the size of a dot made by ball point pen. they appear to be black and move around semi-slow.

only can be seen when I moved to a tank with warmer water, come out of hiding off the Acropora. Saw two moving around on the top of a plug I had a acro mounted to. They quickly returned to hiding.

thanks and I hope that helps. let me know if you have any other questions and I really appreciate your help.

Could they possible be red bugs? heard of them but never saw them.

Could be red bugs. But there is argument on whether they are actually parasitic or are a sorta commensal crustacean that happens onto your acro. Is the coral looking healthy? Polyps extending? If they bother you, I think a Lugols dip will kill them and should spare your coral. But for now I would just leave them. Others may have varying opinions, I have never had first hand experience with them...

HTH

Devilishturtles said:
Could be red bugs. But there is argument on whether they are actually parasitic or are a sorta commensal crustacean that happens onto your acro. Is the coral looking healthy? Polyps extending? If they bother you, I think a Lugols dip will kill them and should spare your coral. But for now I would just leave them. Others may have varying opinions, I have never had first hand experience with them...

HTH

thanks for responding.

Thats what I kinda was thinking they were. The corals seem healthy with polyps extending out.

Back
Top Bottom