little snails....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahollland92690

Aquarium Advice Activist
so iv just started noticing that i have these little snail (like 2-3) and i did not buy them they just started showing up lol! i was wondering if they are bad for the tank ??? or if my two snails are producing offspring lol :biglol:

what kind of snails do you have? Have you added any plants? The snails arent bad, imo, but if you overfeed, they can become overpopulated...

what kind of snails do you have? Have you added any plants? The snails arent bad, imo, but if you overfeed, they can become overpopulated...

Snails often come in through plants either as eggs or live snails. If like me you turn your tank light on one morning they are all over the place i mean EVERYWHERE LOL they have done you a favour. They Show you are overfeeding.

Also Snails are a great excuse to get a Clown loach if you can fit one in your tank or pakistani/yoyo loaches as a smaller option. Loaces are by far my fave fish :)

well i dont have live plants...i have all fake decor, which is wat lead me to think mayb the two snails i already have are mating lol. the snails i bought are blue mystery snails (bought from local pet store)...as long as they dont hurt my tank its no biggy, they arent overpopulating my tank, theres like 2 but if they start ill invest in something thatl eat them lol

well i dont have live plants...i have all fake decor, which is wat lead me to think mayb the two snails i already have are mating lol. the snails i bought are blue mystery snails (bought from local pet store)...as long as they dont hurt my tank its no biggy, they arent overpopulating my tank, theres like 2 but if they start ill invest in something thatl eat them lol

Anything second hand plants gravel tank? also what snails are they?

its possible that they could have came in with your fish... i bought a few fish not long ago and noticed about 10 mts in the bag with them... of course i was happy as i love snails, but that could be how they got in if you havent added anything else from another tank or any plants, and they arent the mystery snails

Anything second hand plants gravel tank? also what snails are they?

no everything is new, nothing was previously used...so maybe they came with my "bought" snails or with my fish..o well they dont bother me just as long as they are not harmful to my tank.

I would try to pick them out as you can because I had a 10 gallon tank and thought a couple wouldnt hurt anything, and soon no matter how many I picked out there were always more and more! It gave me an excuse to get a bigger tank though, hehe. Anyways, on the new tank, I did some research, soaked all my new plants in something I read about (I forget what at the moment, some purple or pinkish looking stuff), and looked carefully for them, and I still have snails! I only see one or two small ones occasionally, but there are a bunch of little tiny things (I assume snails) that are the size of pinheads maybe on the glass. They don't even look like snails, but that has to be what they are, right? Is there anything I can put in the water that will kill them without harming the fish? I don't have any shrimp in there yet but plan to, so if there is something, it should be done before the shrimp are in there, right?

You can get some assasin snails or loaches. I like my snails, they keep things clean. And no matter how hard you try to get rid of them, there will probably be more lol. Some of mine are ITTY BITTY!!!

Back
Top Bottom