Live/Base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msc86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm buying some rock on Friday but I don't know how to tell between them all, does this look like it will work for my saltwater tank? It looks right to me but he's only charging me $40 for all of it, so I wasn't sure if it was just for freshwater or if theirs even a difference? Thanks
download

download

Anyone? I don't want to buy this stuff if it's not the proper type of rock.

Didn't see your pics but here's some examples.

Live rock:

In this 1st pic that's sideways, the live rock is on top or to the left and the base is on the bottom or on the right in the pic.

image-545518128.jpg

image-1385254465.jpg

Here's base rock:

image-618427516.jpg

Here's both in my tank, the lower rock is base rock the rock on top of it is live rock.

image-2075231462.jpg

I paid about $6.99/lb for the live rock, and about 2-4$ / lb for the base rock.

Ok I think I got the pictures right this time :) They aren't the best though, for some reason it wouldn't load right.

Attachments

• IMAG0490.jpg
    IMAG0490.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0489.jpg
    IMAG0489.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 75
Ok I think I got the pictures right this time :) They aren't the best though, for some reason it wouldn't load right.

Those would be base rock, I wouldn't give more than $2 a pound for it. Really I wouldn't buy it, you could find better. The rock is important part of the filtration and long term stability of your tank. You want good porous light rock. Not heavy solid rock.

Don't think there is clear cut between base rock and live rock, most live rock are no longer "live" if out of water any more and will require seeded by a cured live rock regardless. If those rock are out of water already and dry, you will have to cured them all over again regardless size.

If I do buy this rock, since everything on it is dead, does it still need to be cured?

Back
Top Bottom