Live/Beach Sand Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be going to South Padre Island Next week and I am in need of a DSB in my tank anyways. There is no problem with going quite a good ways into the water and getting a few buckets of sand and bringing it home to Houston right?

South Padre is about as clean as you can get when it comes to beaches in Texas Plus the sand would be good and live right? Should I just fill up a cooler and bring it back with it? Do I need to put a air stone in it with a air pump for the ride home? Should I bring a bucket of sea water back and change the water if I'm going to be spending the night in Corpus halfway though the ride back? If it's live don't I need to keep some water in there to keep it alive?

Also, Does anyone know if there is any law in Texas that would prevent this?

Thanks in Advance!

Yes, Oceanic Beaches are Nationally preserved. It is illegal to collect from them without a permit.

Not to get technical....but it's not a Oceantic Beach...It's a Gulf Beach.... Not arguing that point but people have said that you could do that before if you were just getting sand and not getting corals and such???

Can't collect sand either. There will be signs posted at the public beach most likely stating as such.

ahhh...gotcha. I have just never seen a sign stating something like that on Texas Beaches.

Back
Top Bottom