live foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what is the best live foods for fish 4-6 inches, they are cats, buterflyfish, bichers, all basicly predators

I'd try blackworms. White worms are maybe a little small for your fish but they are very nutritious as well.

Only my thoughts, I read live food can bring in a risk of disease, so I only use frozen food.To be honest I wonder if it's worth the risk to your fish, having said that I am sure a lot on here do.......

With worms they are cultured separately than fish. Black worms come in tubs. White worms you buy a culture and grow it and gut load. Feeder fish bring in diseases yes. I once got parasites in a tank from a certain brand of frozen blood worms. I checked on the net and others reported the same and even had a sample under a microscope and found parasites. You're not safe really either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feed my African Butterfly fish crickets (small), and my other fish have learned to go for them too. My angel, apisto, Honey Gourami and female bettas will all try to grab them before the Butterfly can get to them! They learn fast.

I would avoid live if you can. Live food can and eventually will bring disease. After the cool factor wears off you still have to go and get live food a few times a week. Some fish once they are use to live are hard to get off live food. Pellets are more cost effective, safer, and more nutritious.

I agree with Rivers2K, feeding live food can mean you can't get your fish to accept flake or pellet. I had this happen to me a few years back with discus.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Lol spoiled fishes not eating thier gruel/flakes...

But in all honesty some live foods IMO are ok to feed like for instance its alot of work but you could raise brine shrimp to adult stage then feed them and some other things like vinegar worms? Im getting at if you raise the live food yourself you can choose not to feed them that wierd batch of shrimp or guppies or w/e... again thats all in my opinion and ive onlu been in the hobby a year so just being honest

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Probably they only way I would chance it NS; that's if one has the time to do it......

Yea ive never raised brine shrimp to adults but i make baby brine shrimp alot its pretty easy only takes 24 hours and the cichlid/guppy fry love it... the big fish eat them to but idk if 6 inch fish would

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never in 30 years had any of my fish catch anything from live foods. I collect and culture several different critters which make up the bulk of my feeding while all of my fish (mostly wild apistos) still greedily accept prepared foods. I think the notion of fish refusing to eat one over the other is bunk. There really should be no issues if the prepared food is of high quality, which shouldn't be a problem these days.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

what is the best live foods for fish 4-6 inches, they are cats, buterflyfish, bichers, all basicly predators

Did you buy these fish? I believe there is another thread of yours talking about how these aren't really appropriate for a 46 gallon... Again, no hard feeling, just simply asking :)

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

yea, i am just getting all the info on all things i need to know before geting the fish, i may not need live foods but i value all of your feed back

Back
Top Bottom