Live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok sounds good, also If I were to use rocks that I find outside how long should I boil them for?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Depending on what type of rock it might explode. So you can boil water and just pour it on the rocks in a bucket. Or you can just boil them on the stove. But it might explode. I boil them on the stove and I've never blew one up but It can happen.

30mins should be fine. Make sure you let them cool before you put them in the tank.

And just an extra precaution you could take the rocks and scrub them down prior to boiling.

30 min wow, does that mean I should have boiled me driftwood longer? I had them in for about 10 each

I've always heard 5-10 minutes, which is what I've done, and I've never had a problem. I did boil my driftwood longer to help get rid of tannins though :p and if you can keep your plant in there long enough, swords develop an enormous root system that will hold them even in shallow substrate.

I could be wrong. I boiled my DW for 9 hours. Maybe I just over due everything.

Tannins are harmless. When placed in your tank they leak and turn your tank a tea color. Some people like it and fish prefer it but I just don't like the color. I want my tank to be crystal clear.

So I bought amazon swords about 2 weeks ago, I planted them next to drift wood. If some of the leaves start to die what should I be doing? Tear them off?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Update, most of my plants are starting to die. I've already clipped a few off but now I've noticed most are dying. Did I do something wrong when I planted them? I have a sand substrate so all I did was push them deep into the sand next to my drift wood

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom