LIVE ROCK COATED IN BACTERIA???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30_gallon_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just setup a 30 gallon sw tank, i had the salt in it for about 4 days with nothing else, my temp is 78 degrees, my sg is 23 or so. i bought indonesian or java rock from my lfs. when i got the rock it looked pretty nice it had really great coraline (coated in purple stuff), and it had some white spots where the coraline probably got scraped off in shipping. by the way its uncurred. so iv had these 3 pieces (3 pounds) in my new uncyled tank with some caribean aarganite. After 3 days i noticed that the white spots are kinda turning brown. what is this? i dont have a skimmer yet cus the lfs said with only live rock you dont need one yet and i got uncured cus im cycleing the tank.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated 0X

It might be detritus from dieoff if the rock had good life on it. It is a little early for diatoms. What kind of water are you using(tap, ro/di or distilled)?

im using reverse osmosis and my specific is around 23 or 24. and yeah the rock when i bought it had good life on it, by the way this is the first thing i have ever put in my aquarium, and it is in the process of being cycled. my lfs said that, that occurs in the process of cycleing and it will go away when my tank is done being cycled. i called them after i made this post. 0X

diatoms are caused by silicates in the water. It is very common and will burn out on its own. Like I said it seems a bit early for them though. Is it on the sand or glass? Try taking a turkey baster and blowing it off. Get a pic if you can and we can help a little more with a positive ID

im quite sure that my tank is just cycleing because the surface of the sand is turning brown as well. my lfs said this i normal 0X
thanks for everyones input peaceout

You can add pictures by clicking on "reply". You will then see the Post a Reply area come up. Below the comment area is a section call "add an attachment". There you can browse to the pix that you want to add. I think you can add up to 3 per post and you can't exceed 100KB total. Also the pix have to be below a certain res which I can't recall at this moment. If you try to add one with too high a res I think you will be told what the limit is.

Regarding your LR:
I recently setup a 450g marine tank with 380 lbs of LR and the LR looked gorgeous when I got it (purples, pinks, spoges, etc.) However, during cycling, the color has faded somewhat and the rock has brown covering it as well as the substrate. Some answers to my post on this topic stated that this is normal and the color would return in time. See my posts to find the one I am speaking of.

Good luck.

Pete R.

Back
Top Bottom