Live rock hitchhiker identification help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nickle McPickle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I was hoping for a little help in identifying what appears to me to be a strange little hitchhiker who's grown almost twice its size and has developed little buds of some sort since adding my uncured live rock to initiate cycling in my new 28 gallon bow front tank... Essentially I'm new to the hobby and although I've been doing my research, I'm having trouble identifying even what classification this creature is... It seems as though it never moves just grows like a plant. But it's white and translucent and shaped like a thick vine... Originally it did not have these "buds" it has now so I assumed it was just decaying vegetation with a white film that would rot away throughout the cycle but of course that never happend, it grew and appears now after close observation to resemble a bubble algae but it's white and has a thick stalky vine... Also it's strange because without light the buds apparently retract as I discovered while getting my light repaired leaving the tank unlit for 2 days .... With the reintroduction of the lights over a few days the buds slowly reappeared... I'm working on including pictures but any thoughts in the meantime would be appreciated

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom