live rock hitchhikers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egrape

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started to see some life on my live rock, but i think at least some of it is bad.... see what you think:

baby Anenome: is it aiptasia? and if it is, is It best to get rid of it when it's small. it's about half a centimeter long now.

I initially thought this thing was a snail but it suddenly stuck out this long proboscis and I have never seen a snail with one of those..... it doesn't have the mouth a snail does either. WHAT IS IT?

I also have these weird things. I couldn't get a good picture, but it looks like someone stuck a tube into a piece of chewed gum, if that image makes any sense. probs a half inch in length. I probably have five in total. all are green, except one that is purplish which just started to stick out little wormy tentacle things a little, which was the first sign of life I got from these. what are they?

Attachments

• image-1324132129.jpg
    image-1324132129.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 138
  • image-434043950.jpg
    image-434043950.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 143
also the snail thing's shell is fuzzy looking....

That doesn't look like aptasia to me. I would like to see a better picture. it doesn't look like an anemone at all.

The second picture is a whelk.Not sure what it eats. I have seen a few of them here and there and never saw them misbehave. Some are predatory however.

THanks for the quick reply mr x! the tanks lights are off for the night so I will try for a better photo tomorrow. the little dude is in a crevice in the rock work and usually he is more extended then he was in the photo. he definitely has a foot. he is light purpley clear, and his tentacles are pointed but not curly at all. this description is probably not so helpful. I will try for another picture tomorrow :)

as for the whelk, thank you! after some research I think I agree. I will probably remove him just in case.... don't want him going after any future clams or anything :)

any idea on the purple green tube algae things? I will try to snag a pic of those as well tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom