Live rock/live sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adinona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

Since I am new to FOWLR i want to ask you how would I know when my LR or LS dies off?

I purchesed LR(cured from my LFS tanks) and Live aragonite sand(Oceans Nature) few days ago, I started the cycle for my tank, the mixed saltwater is already "crystal clear" after 4 days, there is no smell or anything in the water, but I just need to know how do I know that my LR and LS are "alive" and also when they die off?!

I have a 100 G tank with a wet/dry filter

thanks for all your help.

If the LR came from a dealers tank, and had been in that tank for a while, there probably won't be any die off to speak of. The rock is already cycled. The LS you got isn't really LS except that it should have live bacteria in it. The sand stirring critters that you'll need to maintain the DSB are not in there yet. I would, if you can, get a cup of sand from an established reef tank and add it to your tank. If that isn't an option, you might want to get a detrivore kit from one of the online dealers. Before I go any further with that, how deep is your sandbed? How much LR do you have in the tank? Have you checked the water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, salinity... What is your ultimate goal for this tank?

the DSB is 2 inches and I have 135lb of LR.

I haven't checked any parameters yet as I was told I have to wait at least 1-2 weeks before taking any water tests. Except the salinity which is 1.020

The wet/dry filter has a 15g sump and a 2100 rio as a return pump(around 400gph)

I also have a 2100 rio pump in the tank used as a powerhead(692gph)

I want to have in this tank few large angels and couple of tangs.

I would classify a 2" sand bed as being more of a medium depth vs a DSB. For a true DSB you should double that to 4" depth.

I haven't checked any parameters yet as I was told I have to wait at least 1-2 weeks before taking any water tests.

I wonder what their logic was in that. I always suggest testing your water every few days when your tank is starting. The reason is not only to monitor the water quality but also to monitor the cycle process itself.

I personally tested and charted my tank on a daily basis when it was cycling and even a few weeks after until I was comfortable with the tank and knew it was stable.. The test kits are rather inexpensive and I find it more helpful to test every few days as it is.. Along with having Seachem's Ammonia ALert in the tank has proven to be very cost effective and a great means for protecting your investment.. I still Monitor my water every 2 or 3 days and by all means I test at least weekly.. Very Avid as I want to protect the HARD EARNED money that I have put into this tank..

HTH,
James

Seachem Amonia Alert?

Where did you get this? How much? How does it work?

sorry for all questions.

Also, how does natural sunlight affect water? I have a sliding glass window that allows sunlight in, I can close the blinds if needed.

Thanks,
Steve

Ok, I just did a quick search and found out about the amonia alert, $8 at petco, sounds too easy to be true.

I would not use the ammonia alert product as the only way of testing ammonia but it is a great way of doing a quick spot of your tanks ammonia levels. For what its worth the yellow disk that is on the ammonia alert product is the same disk Seachem uses for their regular ammonia test kit.

Back
Top Bottom