Live Rock/Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mystair13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought my first tank, 75 gal. and was just going to have fish but after reading many forums I see most people put live rock and sand in with the fish. I bought my tank from a pet store chain and the sales person told me to stay away from live sand and rock. Could someone tell me what the advantages and disadvantages are? Thanks for any help.

If this is a SW tank then sand and LR should very much be used. LR is good for housing the nitrifying bacteria that resides on surfaces like the LR and sand. That nitrifying bacteria is what converts ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates thus called the cycle. It also serves as hiding places and homes to the various fish you`ll have. Make sure you read our SW article on cycling. It will give you some good info. BTW welcome to AA.

Welcome the AA. Ask questions here before going the the LFS. The answers you get here are based on first hand knowledge. The people here will help you with buying the products that you need and not the unneeded products that are paying the rent for the store you are shopping in.
" I bought my tank from a pet store chain and the sales person told me to stay away from live sand and rock."
I say stay away from this store if at all possible. If it is the only shop close by then arm yourself with knowledge before going back.
Nice size tank to start with!

...chain and the sales person told me to stay away from live sand and rock. Could someone tell me what the advantages and disadvantages are? ...

Disadvantages? I can't really think of any. I really don't know why someone would steer you away from live rock. "Live" sand is a waste of money, in my opinion. It will all become "live" in time. But sand as a substrate is a good thing. Some folks may steer you away from a sand bed and recommend a "bare bottom" tank. The thinking there is that it is easier to siphon off uneaten food and debris from the bottom of the tank if it's bare. That's true, but it's just a matter of personal taste. If you like the look of a sand bed, then a suitable cleanup crew (nassarius snails, a few hermits, etc) to keep the sand bed turned and clean will keep it healthy.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will go with a FOWLR tank.

Back
Top Bottom