Live Rock turning green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chase33

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Quite a few pieces of my LR has turned a beautiful shiny lime green color. The tank has been up and running for about 2 or three months now. Their is also purple coraline algae growing over some of the green pieces and also on the powerheads. is this green coloring normal? To be honest, the color is so nice tht I wish it would remain that color, but as I mentioned, the coraline is slowly growing over it. I know my lighting must have something to do with the color.

I know on my coraline it started out white then went to green then pink and then purple. I think that is what is happening to yours.

Touch it and let us know if its hard or soft. Hard its coraline, soft and its not good..Its the shiny part that has me worried. A pic works also.

I guess shiny is not a good word to ddscribe it. It is lime green though and very beautiful. The rock is hard. I some areas it is turning pink and purple. It does look like they are changing from green to pic/purple. Pics attached.

Attachments

• img_0185_118.jpg
    img_0185_118.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 867
  • img_0186_139.jpg
    img_0186_139.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,297
I know it's not an answer to your question really, but my liverock turned that color when my bulbs were getting old. Then is just went away. No answers, but like you, I just attributed it to my lighting. I changed bulbs and it eventually went away. Maybe it's a color adjustment since your tank is relatively new, not sure. Cool color :)

The bulbs aren't but three months old. Unless the dealer sold me used lights. A closer look today and more of the rocks are turning pink (over the green). We'll see what happens in a few weeks. I believe they will turn purple. keeping my fingers crossed.

my rocks are turning green and pink as well...not as green as yours, but it's happening slowly.

It looks like Green Coraline, I get the green stuff growing on my glass, and it doesn't come off very easy..

-TheChad

Its not coralline, I had that on my glass/rocks too when my tank was new, I found turbo snails eat it (I hated the stuff).

Well each day more and more of it is turning to pink/purple. I like it as to me it is better looking the the coraline (purple). As long as it isn't problematic then I would rather it stay, but from the way things look it will be replaced very shortly.

Several of my first pieces of LR did this too. Flourescent green, almost. After a few months, it had turned into purple coralline.

Back
Top Bottom