Live Rock Turning White

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anyone tell me why my live rock that once had purple on it is now turning white?

Attachments

• LR TURNING WHITE.jpg
    LR TURNING WHITE.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 157
To be honest I'm not sure. I'm new to the game but I read something in the forums about calcium levels or something. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully a pro will chime in here and give GOOD advice

Thanks. Hope to hear from the Pros out there.... Need to know how to get this corrected before more starts turning white.

All my coralline bleached out white when I cycled. Guess too much ammonia. Are your water parameters good?

Thanks. I have not checked the levels in that tank and I did just recently added several pieces of coral in there:
3 - Green fingers Leathers all three frags are atleast 3" big
several frags of pom pom xenia's (small)
1 - Med-Large frogspawn with 7 heads on it and when the heads expand they are about the size of a $.50 piece maybe a little bit bigger.

I would try to get my calcium stable around 450 and also check your alkalanity make sure its between 9 & 12...what salt do you use and have u done water changes

The salt I am using is Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Just switched back to it about a month ago. I will be getting the water tested this weekend I don't think I have ever checked the calcium in that tank because at that time there was no corals in there. It was a fish and LR only.

The pro reef version lacks a lot of trace elements, etc. because when they made it they figured you'd be dosing all the trace elements and it wouldn't be needed. Try the regular version of the tropic marin

Back
Top Bottom