Live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt bussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Live on the Texas gulf coast, I was wondering if I could pick some rock out from the water right off the beach in port Aransas and cure to use it as live rock? I have already got about 75 of rock in a 30 gallon tank by itself that I picked and dipped in a coral dip and has been sitting in my 30 tank for a couple of days now. The rocks are mildly porous and some are chunks of granite. They were sitting on the bottom in about ten foot of water. Can I use them as live rock in my 125 tank that I recently started and plan toile it a reef tank eventually. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Yes you can. Really any porous rock will work. The downfall to pulling rock out of the ocean is that you can get some non reef safe things or something else you dont want in your tank. But by QT'ing the rock you can make sure that nothing you don't want get in your tank. Tossing it into straight distilled water will do a similar thing, by driving everything out of the rock instantly.

I've heard that a lot of people do this. To me, it depends on the condition of the environment in the immediate area. Too many pollutants like oil or chemicals can be absorbed by the porous portions of the rock or by the growth on the rocks. I often tend to lean on the conservative side of cautious but unless you can be absolutely 120% sure that it's safe, I wouldnt.

I have it isolated in a thirty gallon tank with a low salinity level of around 1.012 to 1.010 I was told if I did a coral dip and isolated them with a lower salinity content that all the bad parasites and bugs would detach and try to find something saltier to attach to. Do y'all know how long before I can add it to my 125 gallon?

Also it se of the rocks have a type of grass and a grey organism on them are these bad?

Back
Top Bottom