Live Sand changing colors Helppp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soto413

Aquarium Advice Regular
I really don't know what topic to put this under but hopefully some body can help me... About a month ago my live sand started to turn brown in certain areas of the tank I thought it would go away didn't think much of it now I see I was wrong, the brown spots are starting to turn green any ideas what it can be & how can I fix it?

Tank as been up about 6 months has about 80lbs LR so far & 1 star fish
Fish:
Fox face
Dwarf lionfish
Hippo tang
Clarkii clown
Zebra moray eel
& just added yesterday Green Mandarin

my first guess is that is way to small a tank for that bioload. Especially in a tank that's only 6 months old. Are you using RO/DI water?

Fox face -------minimum 70g tank
Dwarf lionfish------minimum 50g
Hippo tang------minimum 6ft tank
Zebra moray eel ------minimum 125g tank

all that added in 6 months time, was enough time to build bacterial levels to handle those fish.

Yes I have always used RO water my tank is 75 gal so it's probably to many fish? Sorry I'm still learning everything so I get a little confused at times

RO water alone is not good enough, I would add a DI section on. RO only remove x amount and the DI finish the water off to get o TDS. That's where I would start. Also look at flow

Yeah and to answer your question- it's diatoms, algae, and probably cyano. All a result of too much bioload and waste, excess nutrients in the tank. Cut back on number of fish in the tank, add protein skimmer, add Purigen. Get the nitrates and phosphates in check, Cyphon it out and you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom