live sand in freshwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeaceLoveFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting a small tank and currently I have no substrate in it. I like the way live sand looks so that's what's going in. I was wondering, will the live organisms dying help the tank cycle?

No idea on if it's a good or bad thing for the cycle, but there are far cheaper alternatives to live sand that you can use that look the same. Play sand or aquarium sand that's intended for freshwater aquariums are usually pretty easy alternatives to get and still have the pretty white sand look.

Instead of buying expensive Live Sand, that is really for Saltwater aquariums, Pool Filter sand is a great alternative. It is pretty cheap, as well. I believe over here it is $12 for a 50 lb bag! It looks like regular sand and is fine in FW aquaria after being THOROUGHLY rinsed. :)

There is absolutely no point in buying expensive live saltwater sand for a freshwater tank
The pretty things in it will die and you will have wasted your money

I have both play sand and black diamond sandblasting sand in my aquariums and they look a lot like the live sand in my saltwater tank. I wouldn't waste money on it. There are other alternatives.

Okay so looks like I'm not going with live sand! Especially since I'm putting plants also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom