Livestock Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a few questions, for those of you that read my post about the abused tank, it's all better now. I am looking forward a little bit now to potential livestock I will be able to add in the next weeks. I have two true perculas that will be in there, so I can't have anything that will bother them.

My first thought is a flame angel, my LFS was talking to me about it today and said he doesn't believe it would bother my clowns and that he probably wouldn't hide in the rock much as there is nothing in my tank that would threaten him. What are your thoughts?

Second, my wife likes the yellow watchman goby. I know they form a symbiotic relationship with pistol shrimp, does that mean they need a pistol shrimp? If so it is a no go for me, I don't need my sand being destroyed. The second issue is that my sand is brand new, not matured at all. Would a goby starve to death in the tank, or would he accept the same frozen/pellet/flake food as my clowns?

Feel free to offer any suggestions. I am just looking for a "centerpiece" for the tank I guess you could call it, and then I would like some sort of colorful bottom dweller, I am not a fan of blenys though...

Also curious about a raccoon butterfly. I know many butterfly fish are too large for my set up, would a raccoon be small enough? From what I am reading they are some of the easier butterfly fish to care for.

I forget how big your tank is but flame angel you would want to put in last, no the watchmen doesnt have to have the pistol shrimp, most gobys will eat whatever falls the the sandbed. Also the sand bed should seed quite quickly. I recommend getting a active peaceful fish like a chromis. I would put him in the new tank for a few weeks, then add your clowns since you already have them, then month or so later add the goby. Sand bed should be sufficient by then for him. I would skip the butterfly not good with future coral. The angels can casue problems as well.

I don't do coral though. Would the Flame angel pose problems if I am not planning on starting coral?

10-4, I am reading that the gobys may jump. My tank isn't covered, so should I consider a different bottom dweller?

get some eggcrate from lowes and cut it to fit the top of your tank. good for jumpers, yet lets light through and promotes good air exchange

Back
Top Bottom