Loach Availability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it just me, or are loaches becoming more and more difficult to find? In this area, all but one LFS has stopped carrying them, and prices are going up, up, up. And while I used to sell clown and dojo loaches at work, I can't get them anymore either.

Does anyone know why? I'm assuming it's just becoming too costly to import them?

I don't know why, but they are pretty rare in my area. Some of the LPS carry yoyo loaches every once in awhile. I just recently saw Polka dot loaches at a LPS, but they were about $6 each. I've seen skunk loaches at Walmart. Oh and clown loaches are usually only available at a couple LPS (out of about 5-6 in the area). So, they're not extremely rare, but there isn't a wide selection, and the prices are usually around $6 or more a fish.

chotie said:
im betting because they dont sell well.

Really? I guess that's a locale thing. They sold great when I sold them, and I know a LOT of people have them in their tanks. Perhaps in the days of rising prices people are looking for "cheaper" fish...

Here all the lfs's sell clown loaches. I used to be able to get yoyo's and coolie loaches but not anymore.

Wild-caught loaches are available seasonally, along with many other fish. It may just be the wrong time of year, and current stocks are running low.

toddnbecka said:
Wild-caught loaches are available seasonally, along with many other fish. It may just be the wrong time of year, and current stocks are running low.

You know...that makes perfect sense. They aren't bred in the US, I don't think...so they have to be wild caught...or just widely imported.

Thanks alot guys. :)

When I was looking for khuli loaches in Calgary, I found out they do not transport well. What is a LFS to do with a bag of dead loaches? That's another reason for LFS not to carry them, since it drives the price up.

I will tell you,I am not a big fan of clowns but I wanted two Yo Yo Loaches so bad, and I had to wait over four months and I have over 18 LFS within a 20 mile radius. I love the Yo Yo loaches and I am so afraid of them not surviving because I had such a hard time finding them

I found my Yoyo's at a Petco. They were only being sold for a couple of weeks and they didn't get anymore after. It's probably due to the reason toddnbecca mentioned.
I see clown loaches pretty much all the time though.

I saw that Petsmart has the angelicus (polka-dot) loaches available but for $20 a piece! 8O

I just bought 4 Angelicus loaches, having seen them at Petsmart for $20 I then happened to see them at Walmart for $6. I hate myself for buying fish from Walmart, but they are doing well so far and a saving of over $50 is not to be sniffed at.

petsmart, at least the one near was having trouble getting rid of their black kuhli loaches, and was selling them for $1.49. i also saw gold dojo (which i think may have been just white kuhli loaches for $8) dont get ripped off

I don't think clowns are mean. They get really big though, so you have to house them appropriately.

You may be thinking about yoyos. Some people think yoyos are a little aggressive, but mine have been very peaceful.

I have never seen Kuhlies in my area.

There are some loaches that can get mean, however I don't believe that clowns do, at least IME. Tiger Loach, or striped Loach are the most aggressive.

you say you havent seen kuhli's in your area...your not missing out, sure they swim erratically and cool at the store,because they have no hiding places, but once you get them home, they hide under anything and never come out. i read a story about a guy who bought a kuhli loach, put him in a heavily planted 55 gal, didnt see him for 2 yrs, assumed he was dead and eatten, when he started to tear down the tank found the kuhli was alive and well, just hiding for the past 2 yrs

While my experience with Kuhli's is from a LONG time ago, I remember them doing 2 things.

1) Hiding under the filter during the day.

2) Swimming up and down in the tank all night, and jumping out of any hole. Finding dried up Kuhli's in the morning was a regular event.

Cool fish, but depressive/suicidal.

The main loaches I've seen around here are yo-yo's and clowns. But they've always been in plentiful supply. Now it's just none, nowhere.

My clown loaches get a little picky at each other occasionally, but it's probably just them playing. They also hide for the majority of the day, but I do occasionally (rarely) see them out.

I see clowns often,but thats about it really.

A few more here or there,but in general I havn't noticed the others mentioned here....(I'm sure I've seen at least some)

Every new store I go into is a quest to see a real live yoyo as I hear em mentioned often....still looking lol.

my lfs has yo-yos for $2.99 (small), clowns and sometimes botia striata (which they have listed wrong as something else). Also, if you want loaches that bad, try ordering online from www.thatfishplace (they always have some kind of loaches on hand) or maybe a fish auction site like www.aquabid.com

Back
Top Bottom