Loach comparability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Wondered if loaches get along with each other in general for different species?

Also,
Lfs has suggested getting some clown loaches to go with my remaining yo yo loaches (2). Tired of them jumping out of the tank if I leave the feeding cover off the tank.

My dojo loach has never had a problem with any fish except corys. He was so big(5 inches) compared to them it stresses the corys out.

Other than that they are the sweetest fish you can imagine. And he eats like a pig lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I had the yoyo, these fish were settled after I had 8+
They didn't bother anything, over the time I had them pretty much all of my fish were kept with them. I found them to be secretive.

The clown loach, these have been kept mainly with Cory and big ol' plecostomus monsters, now I have a shoal of tetra with them.
No issues worth noting. (Pecking order within shoal, that's all)

Keep the numbers up! If you can fit them in, anything approaching double figures.

In the early years my small shoals were kept together, that includes both species.
No issues.

(Ancient vid of tank one!)

Ummm, evidence!

Hi, thanks for the replies!! Nice video!

I'll check out the lfs - so tempting to see what they have this weekend.

I like the yo yo's and their size is good for the tank but I'm so tired of them 'escaping'.

On the other hand, the lfs owner likes clown loaches and they would be something different.

I guess I'll give it one more go on a decent size yo yo loach school, maybe....

Hi, thanks for the replies!! Nice video!

I'll check out the lfs - so tempting to see what they have this weekend.

I like the yo yo's and their size is good for the tank but I'm so tired of them 'escaping'.

On the other hand, the lfs owner likes clown loaches and they would be something different.

I guess I'll give it one more go on a decent size yo yo loach school, maybe....

Just make sure it's a big tank, clown loaches get big!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just make sure it's a big tank, clown loaches get big!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes they do! Ummm, it takes a while though!

https://flic.kr/p/mcenq6
Here's my biggest, she can be seen towards end of the video above.
Still alive! Apparently only just out of maturity and still 10-20 years of life to go.

I think 6x2x2 is the acceptable size for full term care. You can get away with less on juveniles but only for a few years.

Yes they do! Ummm, it takes a while though!

https://flic.kr/p/mcenq6
Here's my biggest, she can be seen towards end of the video above.
Still alive! Apparently only just out of maturity and still 10-20 years of life to go.

I think 6x2x2 is the acceptable size for full term care. You can get away with less on juveniles but only for a few years.

Yes, tank size is only 4 x 2 x 2.5 so this was why I skipped them before. I did some reading and read yo yo's may be more active of the two? They must be pretty active to keep throwing themselves out the tank :(

That's weird? I don't have lids, not fully closing ones, the one tank that did have a lid is now broken and is open topped, so none of my fish have lids. Even when the lid was working the front flap was off most of the time. The other lid I made to hold tubes was open about one third of the tank and full width across.

(The water level is 2-3 inches off of the top though? Maybe that is it? Just guessing)
Could be water related?

I was worried I'd lose fish like this but, apart from a bichir and a glowlight tetra, nothing else has escaped this way, so I never got around to making lids!

Idk, I've lost 5 now over the side. Had the two last ones for several years and seem in good nick - I've wondered on the water quality myself if there is something they don't like.

The water level is very close now. First couple got up several inches (must of climbed out), now there is only an inch gap. It's sooo annoying as they will be fine for months and then I'll leave part of the cover off and another one is gone.

They don't seem stressed, eat well, annoy the other fish, hassle the angelfish and have caves / driftwood so I'm at a loss. I did get told they are jumpers but at a loss. Unless they are after the odd insect around the lights?

That's really strange? Maybe another fish is startling them (fight or flight)
Several inches seems to me like they are gunning it!

Even as I type this it doesn't seem right! Mine stayed with the monster plec for a while (this was the open 1/3rd lid, tank one (the video here))

Given what you say on here (elsewhere) I'm led to believe you're a good fish keeper, you know, up on the water and all that business, so I'm not gonna quiz you.

That's really weird? There must be something maybe so obvious as to be overlooked, you know the thing, like slap your own face silly for missing it type of situation.

What fish have been in there as long? (Just shooting in the dark here!)

That's really strange? Maybe another fish is startling them (fight or flight)
Several inches seems to me like they are gunning it!

Even as I type this it doesn't seem right! Mine stayed with the monster plec for a while (this was the open 1/3rd lid, tank one (the video here))

Given what you say on here (elsewhere) I'm led to believe you're a good fish keeper, you know, up on the water and all that business, so I'm not gonna quiz you.

That's really weird? There must be something maybe so obvious as to be overlooked, you know the thing, like slap your own face silly for missing it type of situation.

What fish have been in there as long? (Just shooting in the dark here!)

And the gap is only hand sized as well. Just a triangle of Perspex I remove for feeding. FYI tank covers are a large sheet of Perspex with lights on top. Could they be exploring for more food as I always feed in one main spot?

Stock: Rosy barbs (8), black mollies (6) and bn catfish have been in just as long. Usually buy a few mollies each year, catfish and barbs original stock.

Neons came and went. Angelfish have been a recent addition for 8 or so months. Angelfish seem to mostly keep aggression to themselves.

Ph is 7.3 but co2 injection for 9 hours, temp about 77F (summer over here), nitrates between 30 and 50 (roughly) as haven't got plants vs ferts dosing well sorted.

The substrate is fine gravel which I thought might be a problem but their barbels are in good condition and they bury up to their eyes chasing Malaysian trumpet snails I think.

Maybe I should get a hidden camera :)

Unlikely to be Bristlenose. The tank I had set up for years (Mk1 fish house) was up to 13 loach, up to 12 glass catfish (Kryptopterus) and a Bristlenose.
That stayed like this for years, until I moved, I gave 12-13 loach to a friend during the downsize. Lid had feeding flap removed as tank was on top shelf of stand (pain in the old doo dah at feeding time) it had the lights in but was open full length along the front, with a pair of cut outs at the back.

Maybe it's the upper end of your No3. 30ppm was high (I thought)
It could be they don't like nitrate. (I realise plant needs are different)
Loaches are typically considered nitrate haters.

Co2 could be a cause, I've not used it but it can cause massive pH swings, even without co2 addition, the level of co2 in the water can shift pH by great amounts over the course of a day.
(Recent loss of corydoras for me, exactly ties back to this, adjusted photoperiod no more losses but they died in tank, 7.4-8.2 was the change, this is deadly)
Is it 7.2 stable? (Test in the MINUTES before lights on, AND in the MINUTES before lights off, that will give you the daily range for your tank.

(It may be 6.8-7.8 or something, depends on Kh, O2 (air stones) and other environmental factors, it could be much more?) but it's just a guess?

I had a well planted tank that had no co2 addition, but when the lights went off I turned an air stone on to keep the level from changing. (Drives off co2 now being produced)

So maybe, as the lights go off, added co2 (not used up) combines with that now being produced by the plants and fish, this will acidify your water, the speed of change will depend on the level of co2 and rate of gas exchange etc. (that's basic but close enough)
If the pH is moving too much, just counter time an air stone. This should help.
(Measure Kh, this will let you know roughly how much co2 you have, you may have a colour check or some co2 testy thing? If so this can be used to guesstimate Kh)

My substrate was a mix of regular grade gravel up to pebbles
(large, er beach grade! To fist size)

Yes, they do bury themselves! Up to the eyeballs! Silly fish.

It could be the food thing? I can confirm they (and most if not all fish) will learn where the food comes from, I feed the tank area though, so that could be it?
(General scattering of dry foods is more natural, that way they have to search, similar to baiting an area, got that from a fisherman, frozen stuff dropped in front of filter return line, makes it wriggle like its alive! And it scatters it around)

Whew, complex! Hopefully it gets sorted, I still remember seeing my first bichir crispy on the floor, that was years ago! (Maybe 9) but I still see it, and I still feel responsible.

Good luck! (Seriously, because I hate this type of thing, it is gutting)

Thanks for the reply! I'll try spreading the food around more. I think it has been mostly at night they have jumped out. Hard to say as leave fairly early in morning for work.

That's an interesting idea on ph. It has been pretty stable but I can see with the ph controller that it starts at say 7.3 to 7.5 and drops to say 6.9 after 4 hours. Then it all shuts off.

So I could keep running the ph controller but turn the co2 off and just see how quickly it rebounds. Or use a digital meter I have. The ph controller would be really great as it is continuous reading but the co2 valve is very sensitive so have to think if I want to play it.

Still I had lost a few loaches before I started doing co2 injection but it would be nice to chart ph over 24 hrs and see what happens.

Kh (really must take better notes) is 5 in tap and around 4 in tank. Gh only recently got the test. Something like 7 in tap and 9 in tank (ferts dosing I'm sure is cause).

Interestingly I just got a potassium test kit as had just started dry dosing potassium straight into tank. That reading was 188ppm when I was shooting for 40ppm and thought it would be very low as plants have continual element deficiency problems.

So sometimes I wonder if all this ferts dosing is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom