Loach Lovers Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have the Pandas at my lfs right now and I want more- but they want 20 each for them. And they no longer have the stripes so they'll probably adults. If I'm paying that much I'd at least want juveniles. I might give in however and buy them anyhow.

I would! I doubt my LFS would ever carry such a unique specimen

Caleb

I would! I doubt my LFS would ever carry such a unique specimen

Caleb
I wonder if anyone knows the life span on them.. if it's long enough I think I will. We go back there tomorrow so I'll have to look into it. I just checked and Wet Spit still has them too. I know Gunpowder Aquatics had also had them in for 20 each, a few months earlier.

I have college loans to pay off and I spend too much on fish stuff as it is, I can't afford $20 panda loaches :(

(He says after spending $30 including shipping for a pair of dwarf puffers)

30 for Dwarf puffers? Ouch. They go for 5 here. I wouldn't pay more than 10 for one. But that's probably all shipping you paid. I got my first dwarf over a year ago and she started it all. I have 4 different puffer tanks now. Two freshwater and 2 brackish. One going full salt.

30 for Dwarf puffers? Ouch. They go for 5 here. I wouldn't pay more than 10 for one. But that's probably all shipping you paid. I got my first dwarf over a year ago and she started it all. I have 4 different puffer tanks now. Two freshwater and 2 brackish. One going full salt.

$30 including shipping. So it was actually a really good price all things considered. Take away at least $15 for shipping and that's only $7.50 per fish.

I think I'd pay to ship them if I could confirm they were captive bred. Enjoy them though they could be the start of another addiction.
(That's where it usually starts)

I think I'd pay to ship them if I could confirm they were captive bred. Enjoy them though they could be the start of another addiction.
(That's where it usually starts)

Yes, they are captive bred! They're also illegal in the state and thus nearly impossible to find at an LFS

Just following this awesome loach thread. I owned a golden weather loach for 4 years that died before I could move him to a bigger tank. I currently own 1 adult and 2 juvenile angelicus botia, and 1 yoyo. I have no pics of the newbies but 1 of Simon an Boo .

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1430440963955.jpg
    1430440963955.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 50
Oops and Boo

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1430441033534.jpg
    1430441033534.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 52
Ohh, yours is the post I just replied to the other day about treating for parasites. What state are you in? It's odd that they'd be banned. Can they survive in the local area? That's normally the only reason, but then again I don't know who would release them..
Probably somebody buying on impulse who then experienced "surprising issues with aggression or nipping"

That makes me livid- When somebody chooses to buy puffers or loaches to deal with their pest snail problem. Puffers aren't community fish so that's an almost destined fail. And they try adding a brackish/marine puffer to a FW tank on top of that. And the other one- someone suggests clown loaches. I'd never recommend to anyone unless I knew they were prepared for them full grown.

Ohh, yours is the post I just replied to the other day about treating for parasites. What state are you in? It's odd that they'd be banned. Can they survive in the local area? That's normally the only reason, but then again I don't know who would release them..
Probably somebody buying on impulse who then experienced "surprising issues with aggression or nipping"

That makes me livid- When somebody chooses to buy puffers or loaches to deal with their pest snail problem. Puffers aren't community fish so that's an almost destined fail. And they try adding a brackish/marine puffer to a FW tank on top of that. And the other one- someone suggests clown loaches. I'd never recommend to anyone unless I knew they were prepared for them full grown.

No, they're banned because Maine took a sissy line and shafted fishkeepers to make paranoid fishermen happy. Maine has a list of approved fish you can keep and anything not on the list is illegal without a permit. List excludes dwarf puffers and every kind of loach we've talked about in this thread- bar kuhlis, clowns and yoyos.

I might almost have respect for a law that had so much concern for protecting the native fish populations, except that 1. This is Maine. The water here doesn't even get warm enough for tropical fish in the SUMMER. and 2. Goldfish are on the approved list even though they're becoming established all over. So yeah, it's political grandstanding and it makes me so unbelievably angry.

Maine.. Yeah that'd explain it. I'm in NY and there's a whole new list of things DEC just banned. Which includes Dojo/Weather loaches. I love them so it was pretty upsetting when I saw it.

Maine.. Yeah that'd explain it. I'm in NY and there's a whole new list of things DEC just banned. Which includes Dojo/Weather loaches. I love them so it was pretty upsetting when I saw it.

Are you kidding me? Ugh. Those aren't allowed in Maine either. Not that it has stopped me or ever will stopped me. Again, I have absolutely no respect for political grandstanding. Do you have them? What will you do?

At least there's a reason; they're actually established somewhere in NY. Fun fact: Maine removed Jack Dempsey cichlids from the list as a "leading invasive pest" because they became established- IN FREAKING FLORIDA

God this state is full of so many dumb stupid idiots

Last edited:
I have 3 Weather loaches. They're banned because people release them into the rivers and they wreck havoc. I have never and will never release any fish into the wild though. So they're staying. I'm not going to sentence them to death due to other people's thoughtless actions.

Are you familiar with Channa? Gorgeous fish. They're also monsters- and banned in.. I believe all of the US. Because people bought them and then realized they couldn't support them and released them into the wild. Of course anyone could guess what that led to.

I have 3 Weather loaches. They're banned because people release them into the rivers and they wreck havoc. I have never and will never release any fish into the wild though. So they're staying. I'm not going to sentence them to death due to other people's thoughtless actions.
I don't blame you. They hardly enforce the regulations here- unless you have koi in which case they go all crazy, again for political grandstanding. The whole thing makes me shake with anger.

Are you kidding me? Ugh. Those aren't allowed in Maine either. Not that it has stopped me or ever will stopped me. Again, I have absolutely no respect for political grandstanding. Do you have them? What will you do?

At least there's a reason; they're actually established somewhere in NY. Fun fact: Maine removed Jack Dempsey cichlids from the list as a "leading invasive pest" because they became established- IN FREAKING FLORIDA

God this state is full of so many dumb stupid idiots

Sounds like you need to start getting involved in politics

Sounds like you need to start getting involved in politics

Not till I'm done being a scientist. I think this country needs more scientists in office but I can't be a scientist in office till I'm a scientist in science.

Not till I'm done being a scientist. I think this country needs more scientists in office but I can't be a scientist in office till I'm a scientist in science.

In fact, we need more aquarists in politics across the board.

Back
Top Bottom