loach lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAGlocker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of adding a few loaches to my tanks, have it down to either clown loaches or dojo loaches. I will be putting them in a tank with Gouramies, redtailed black sharks, and tiger barbs to start with. I knwo if I get the clown loaches they will in time go into one of my larger tanks. The only questions I have is, will either or both of these get along with the fish I am putting them in with, and also will the dojo, or weather loach, eat snails. Any info will be appreicated

Mainly it is the botia family of loaches that are the snail eaters, such as the clown and yoyo loaches. Dojo's are more of a insect/decaying veggie matter consumer.
None of the fish listed should have any problems being housed together.

best,
dino

I'd go with the clown loaches!!!!! They are so comical, they will really liven up your tank!!! You will need to get at least 3 though as they feel safer in groups. I have found that my clowns have buddied up with my tiger barbs since they are about the same size now and same markings. Its quite neat!

which tank? I have one 20 gal that I want to put them in to start with, also have a few 55s set up and one 75 and a 135 that is currently running, not counting the 10s and couple of 5 gals that I have. I want to get one more larger one, 200 or larger, but that is going to wait. I will move them into the 75 or 135 eventually.

Go for the Clown then, they are fun fish and you have plenty of room for when they get huge :)

Go with the Clowns. They are great snail eaters and hilarious fish to have. Plus the fact they are probably the most readily available loach out there. :lol:

I love both, so. Hrms... The dojo loaches are actually the larger of the two, length-wise. If I was you, and I isn't.. and my plan was to put them in a larger tank, say 90+ gallons.. I'd get 3-5 clown loaches, and 1-2 dojo loaches :p

I can't find any dojo loaches right now! Petsmart dropped them from their stock rotation last month :( I NEED ONE!!!

Clown loaches are great..But be ready for the ICH :x They are ich magnets, but I still love mine. The orange and black really show up well in the tank.

You should try running FW aquarium salt if you are having problems with ich. I have 2 cloen loaches in my larger tank and have never delt with ich.

I don't run with any salt or additives, and have never managed to get ick. I run 80-82 degrees all the time though ;p

I have a few fishies that don't like salt anyways. Cories apparently hate it.

I've heard that salt is very hard on Clown Loaches as well, because they're scale-less fish. That's the main reason I haven't gotten any yet - I've been told numerous times that running a tank with salt will shorten the lives of loaches significantly. I've been running salt in my 55 forever, but added none to my 125.

I wasn't aware that they catch ich so easily? I'll have to QT them in my small tank...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom