Long Finned Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all.

Was getting fishies in this morning at the W, when I noticed something odd. In my lot of oscars, was this really weird looking fish. Definitley an oscar, but with extremely long fins. Even the front fins were long, like those of your average long/high finned fishes. The tale fin seemed to stretch back very far.

I don't think the O will be around tommorow, it was quite weak when it got to me...

Is this some genetic morph? Could it be crossed with something? I'll try and snap a picture tommorow but I don't know how plausible that will be. I've just never seen this before.

Any ideas?

wow that's some high prices on oscars. my lfs has oscars for anywhere from 5.99 - 8.99 depending on type and color.

The long finned variant of the Oscar aka Veil Tail etc, is not a 'genetic morph', its not a hybrid, they are specifically bred for these traits.
It used to be considered rare, now it is more just uncommon due to its becoming more popular and thus more breeders breeding it... Demand dictates supply... Sometimes :roll:

The Veil tails on that site look like poorly finned specimens to me, mt LFS has a breeder who's 2"-4" juveniles are absolutely gorgeous with looooong flowing fins, I'm talking caudal fins almost as long as the body 8O :D
They are a little pricey when compared to other varities of Oscars, but they are uncommon... Demand dictates price :wink:

Veil Tail it is then. lol

Thanks alot for all your replies. This is new to me. Never seen a long finned oscar before.

Me and the fish guy spent a while this morning trying to figure out what exactly the deal was with it. Glad to know it's just a normal fish!

8)

I'm a big oscar fan, and the Veil Tail Oscars look really awesome. On the flip side, I have always had problems with my oscars' fins in the past. It seems like somebody always nips at them or they get a little ragged looking over time for one reason or another - I imagine that would be amplified in a long fin oscar like that!

Long finned oscar

ive been trying to find some long finned oscars any ideas were i can find some
or do you have the name of the pet store you got yours

thanks for any help you can offer

kurt

did your live?

Try looking on aquabid.com. They had a vail tail albino oscar on there the other day. I dont know if it's still there or not.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom