Longest you have ever kept a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mine's probably my CAE,hes like 2. but my mom has a black skirt we got with my turtles tank thats like 9

Well my Missy (H.temparalis) I've had for 7 years now, my Labeotropheus fuelleborni the originals that are still here were wild caughts and they've been here 7 almost 8 years and last but not least of the old timers is Chef the betta who I rescued close to 6 years ago from Walmart oh and forgot one one of my favorite angels Jaws is probably somewhere close to 7 years old since he was an adult when I got him 6 years ago.

I think I had my managuense cichlid for over 10 years. He survived two attacks of hole in the head (just made him into psychofish), four moves, jumping out of the tank on multiple occasions, un-cycled tanks, dogs drinking out of his holding bucket (he would bite the dogs' tongues), friend's kids dumping/throwing things into his tank.

I miss that fish, he had some 'tude.

I've got 7 black skirt Tetras and 2 goldfish that are all five years old. We also kept a betta in a bowl for about 5 years, we changed all the water in his bowl weekly.

KonvictKeeper said:
I had a serpea tetra that lived to be like 5... Did you hear about the 40 yr old pacu that just died?

I didn't hear, what is a Pacu? Well I know that it is a type of fish, but what kind. Lol

alLexX said:
mine's probably my CAE,hes like 2. but my mom has a black skirt we got with my turtles tank thats like 9

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Shay said:
Well my Missy (H.temparalis) I've had for 7 years now, my Labeotropheus fuelleborni the originals that are still here were wild caughts and they've been here 7 almost 8 years and last but not least of the old timers is Chef the betta who I rescued close to 6 years ago from Walmart oh and forgot one one of my favorite angels Jaws is probably somewhere close to 7 years old since he was an adult when I got him 6 years ago.

Wow, impressive. Nice job.

DragonFish71 said:
I think I had my managuense cichlid for over 10 years. He survived two attacks of hole in the head (just made him into psychofish), four moves, jumping out of the tank on multiple occasions, un-cycled tanks, dogs drinking out of his holding bucket (he would bite the dogs' tongues), friend's kids dumping/throwing things into his tank.

I miss that fish, he had some 'tude.

Wow, cool.

Sisserydoo said:
I've got 7 black skirt Tetras and 2 goldfish that are all five years old. We also kept a betta in a bowl for about 5 years, we changed all the water in his bowl weekly.

Very nice! I am not sure of my oldest fish. Probably my Clownfish, I got him in December of 07. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My Grandfather had a school of 12 ish year old clown loach ! I use to love going to visit as a kid, it was him and his tanks which got me addicted!

davePM said:
My Grandfather had a school of 12 ish year old clown loach ! I use to love going to visit as a kid, it was him and his tanks which got me addicted!

Wow, cool. I bet they were huge!

redsea said:
Wow, cool. I bet they were huge!

They were! And obviously as a kid they seemed even bigger! Probably didn't help that they were in a tank that was probably only 30" long, they were probably a good 12"+ ! But it's was a long time ago, wish I ha some pictures!

davePM said:
They were! And obviously as a kid they seemed even bigger! Probably didn't help that they were in a tank that was probably only 30" long, they were probably a good 12"+ ! But it's was a long time ago, wish I ha some pictures!

Wow, sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing!

A goldfish, that has been living comfortably in a 55 gallon for 7-8 years now. Has survived everything from ich breakouts, uncycled tanks, oscars (long story), a pool, plecs, filter failures, and soap. He is one toughie to kill, along with his other two goldie companions. One tough customer.

bruinsbro1997 said:
A goldfish, that has been living comfortably in a 55 gallon for 7-8 years now. Has survived everything from ich breakouts, uncycled tanks, oscars (long story), a pool, plecs, filter failures, and soap. He is one toughie to kill, along with his other two goldie companions. One tough customer.

Wow, he is a tough cookie. How did he end up on a pool? Lol

And just think that is the average life. Longest living koi fish recently died at the age of 223 years old.

Hi i currently have a synodontis which is at least 18 years old:fish1: He was an unwanted 'pet' so i rescued him:) I still have this fish:fish1:
Also had a flagtail characin which was 22 years old when it died.
Synodontis Decorus - 19 years old
I shall have to check me records for some more ages of me fishes:)

redsea said:
Wow, he is a tough cookie. How did he end up on a pool? Lol

My grandfather realized my grandmother bought too many fish for the tank, so he tried to dump them all in a pool. Luckily we rescued it after ten minutes it was in there.

redsea said:
I didn't hear, what is a Pacu? Well I know that it is a type of fish, but what kind. Lol

A pacu is somehow related to a piranha and look eerily the same but the get huge!! My lfs owner has one at home he's had for over 10 years and is the size of my torso. They have some in the pittsburgh zoo and they still don't know how large the can get. They are vegetarian though and have mega powerful chomped that crush tree fruit/nuts that fall in the rivers they live in. Awesome fish!!

Back
Top Bottom