Longevity of a 5lb co2 container?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be for my 20 long, I have no idea what would be an appropriate flow rate for my aquarium.

As it is right now I wouldnt say it's heavily planted, but I have some Java Moss, Xmas Moss, Dwarf Grass, 8 stems of Anacharis, and 4 stems of Water Wisteria.

I would think that since the tank isn't that large and the flora you listed aren't that demanding, 1 to 2 BPS would do? Not sure how long the 5lbs tank would last, so I'd like to follow along for a future project I'm planning...

BTW, what part of AZ are you from Esoteric?

6-9 months wouldn't be an unreasonable amount of time, depending on the diffusion method, bps, etc.

I would think that since the tank isn't that large and the flora you listed aren't that demanding, 1 to 2 BPS would do? Not sure how long the 5lbs tank would last, so I'd like to follow along for a future project I'm planning...

BTW, what part of AZ are you from Esoteric?

Thank you for your input. I have been wanting to get a serious planted tank going and right now I am using DIY co2, and I was considering switching.

I reside in and around Tucson. How about you?

I live in Scottsdale.

I would say if you have the extra cash, the pressurized system is best because its more precise, which means less fluctuation in ph and provides stability. Plus the convenience of not having to mix the yeast/sugar so often. Oh, and the ability to have a solenoid valve that shuts off the system when the lights are off--since your plants don't use co2 when photosynthesis is not being conducted.

I use DIY on my 12g.. Pressurized on my 6g. I'm planning a high tech 36g very soon. I'll be getting the Aquatek full sized regulator and 5lbs cylinder as well.

Well... Because I'm on a budget.. I might get another mini regulator for my 12g in the future. But it seems to be doing better than expected without going pressurized, thought I'd save an extra 80 bucks... So if it ain't broke, don't fix it...LOL

The 6g is my lastest project, so its my spoiled child so to speak. With the 12g, IMO, its a better candidate with a decent amount of water volume to handle the instability of a DIY CO2. Whereas, the 6g is too small and it would be a wild rollercoaster of co2 levels rising and dropping. Further, the 6g has high co2 demanding HC... And will have shrimp and CPD's. I just need to have more control of things since its a nano (more so than my 12g).

1 liter bottle > Fluval bubble counter > check valve > Fluval diffuser

Recipe:
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate
1/2 teaspoon of yeast

This was from my re-scape and addition of DIY CO2 on my 12g.

ForumRunner_20121101_142106.jpg

After assembly and installation :)
ForumRunner_20121101_142132.jpg

Sure... It's the Aquatek mini regulator. It comes complete with solenoid, bubble counter w/ integrated check valve, and co2 tubing. You'll just have to buy the diffuser and co2 paintball tank separately.

I mainly shop Amazon and utilize their reviews a lot to weigh in on my purchases.. But you can get the same regulator coming from the same seller in their Ebay store for a $10 less than Amazon...plus, they throw in free co2 tubing.

$79.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230840227751?redirect=mobile

I bought two 20oz empire co2 tanks at a local paintball store here in AZ. They were $25 each and included 5 free refills each.. At $5 a refill, i essentially got these tanks free. Score! :)

The diffuser is an UP Aqua glass ceramic i got on Ebay for around 10 bucks i think?

Back
Top Bottom