Longggg green worm????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intimatecple

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help Please I just aquired some live rock from a 6 year old established SW tank.the owner told me about a long worm in his rocks. Well I found it but I have no idea what it is....can anyone help??? He told me he has been in there for about a year since he had first noticed it. I already looked on XTALREEF and did not find anything like it. I will keep this in the bucket until I know what it is (good or bad)

Here is a pic it is 6-7 inches long and stretches to about 12-14 inches long...

Attachments

• Fish Tank 143.jpg
    Fish Tank 143.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Fish Tank 144.jpg
    Fish Tank 144.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Fish Tank 145.jpg
    Fish Tank 145.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Fish Tank 146.jpg
    Fish Tank 146.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 47
I cant ID it but that long and big you were right to remove it. They are OK when small but when they get that big they are sometimes problems.

I cant ID it but that long and big you were right to remove it. They are OK when small but when they get that big they are sometimes problems.

is it by chance a large peanut worm...like I said it was noticd a year ago and he said it lived in his rocks...he had a fowlr tank

looks like an eucinid (probably spelled that wrong but will look it up later) and you were good to remove it. It will save you headaches down the road.

looks like an eucinid (probably spelled that wrong but will look it up later) and you were good to remove it. It will save you headaches down the road.

Yes I think that is it....I found this info...

Worms in the genus Eunice, sometimes called "bobbit" worms are, if anything, more impressive than their Palola cousins. Eunice is a large genus, with well over 150 species, and it is hard to generalize about them. As with the Palola, they have five antennae, including one in the center of the forehead and they all have jaws, in some cases wicked, scimitar shaped hooks with accessory spines and hooks. These are not jaws for chewing the prey or food item, but rather are jaws designed to ensure the food that, once seized, never gets away. Some of these worms get very large; the largest I have seen reported from reef tanks was in excess of 6 feet long, and individuals of Eunice aphroditois may be much larger. Eunice individuals tend to live in mucus-lined borrows in rock or sediments and may have several entrances to their tubes. Two distinct kinds of worms seem to be represented in this genus. One kind, which is benign in reef tanks, seems to be mostly scavenging its food. It lives in a burrow in the sediment, or more rarely, in a burrow in the rocks. When feeding, one of these worms will slowly extend from its burrow. They typically have four to six eyes and are quite capable of detecting motion outside the aquarium, and across the room. It will slowly search the surrounding area for food and if bothered by a fish, or its own shadow, will retract into its burrow with a velocity that has to be seen to be believed. Contraction back into a burrow has been clocked in excess of 20 feet per second, and if only a couple of feet of the worm are visible while it is foraging, that worm can disappear, quite literally, in the blink of an eye.

Attachments

• Eunice.jpg
    Eunice.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 53
That would be the guy. While there are some that are not much of a threat, I wouldn't take the chance on this being one of them. If you have corals, or plan to do so in the future, it's best to leave him out of the tank now that you have him. They are not easy to catch.

Looks to me like a ordinary sand-worm we use spring summer and fall for fishing here on the east coast. We go out at low tide and turn the sand over with pitchforks and catch these guys along with blood worms and others. If you grab this guy behind the head two huge black pincers will extend outward and close. Be careful these guys bite really hurt. Right size, shape and color.

Back
Top Bottom