Look Who I Found Hitchhiking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
A great member of our community by the name of Oblivion sent me some Venus Fly Traps at no charge(would not even let me pay shipping) and after unpacking the plantings as I went to throw away the box this little guy shoots from inside(box was shipped from New Mexico). Now these are not a cold climate frog, so I grabbed him stuck him inside a 10g tank with peat moss, some driftwood, and a little water and see if I can keep him healthy. Here's a couple pictures of a tree in my house I stuck him on while I set the tank up. Just wanted to publicly say thanks again to Oblivion I'll post some pictures of the traps here soon, we really have a valuable member here and a heck of a nice guy.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 611
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
glad you liked the 'mystery box' from the great blokes at flytrapcare.com :)
it was just a little way of personally thanking you for the advice you give to me and various others around here.

im looking forward to the pics of the plants, half the fun of sending a mystery box was not knowing exactly what types of fly traps or sarracenia you was going to get.

hopefully little 'freddo' survives ok after his long journey in a box.

Here's a few pictures after planting and what type of plant, plus the seeds he sent from Austrialia arrived this morning which will keep my wife busy tonight with more plantings.

Attachments

• image-4112065563.jpg
    image-4112065563.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 219
  • image-2747856085.jpg
    image-2747856085.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 198
  • image-593948512.jpg
    image-593948512.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 213
  • image-75288729.jpg
    image-75288729.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
That was cool of Oblivion too send you them. Cool looking
Plant's. Bottom Right pic reminds me of Lil Shop of Horrors :ROFLMAO:

That's literally the first question my wife asked how big do they get? And you could see Audrey 2 in her eyes.

Attachments

• image-2030068226.jpg
    image-2030068226.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
didnt you keep the labels with each clone so you can tell what plant is what in the future?

and you got a czech giant? (jealous smiley) :eek:

was there any sarracenia (north american pitcher plants) in with the order, or was it 10 of their various VFT species?

all of the VFT's (venus fly traps) like czech giant, pink venus, red dragon etc, are all clones of the same plant via tissue culture.
anything grown by seed (even a cross of two identical clones) is classified as just an ordinary VFT, even though it may have characteristics of its parents.

however if cared for properly you will find each rhizome will naturally divide on its own, providing you with more clones of the same species.
you can tell because it will have multiple crowns (aka growth points) and maybe even little tiny traps appearing amongst the full grown plant.

theres 3 hairs in the centre of each lobe of the trap. if touched twice in 30sec it will activate the trap. they might not respond at all during colder weather or when less healthy.
dont trigger the traps yourself, they only work a few times then die off.
they also require live prey to struggle and keep triggering the hairs, causing the trap to squeeze tighter and tighter.
let it catch its own prey.

your coming up on winter in the USA, so you can expect them to die back and enter dormancy, where you will get most traps die off, very few new traps, less colour, and very slow growth.
ive even had a "shark tooth" clone die off completely above ground but the rhizome was fine and the following summer it'll re-grow again.

just make sure to keep them moist at all times.
not wet and boggy (causes root + rhizome rot) and not dry out either.

keep them in a water tray during summer, and remove the tray during winter so they can free-drain out the bottom of the pot.
lots of sunlight, the more the better. (full sun ideally, except keep them out of heatwaves eg 100f)

so in a nutshell: keep it moist with pure water at all times, lots of direct sunlight, and the plant will do the rest itself.
they are easier to care for than ppl realise

heres a few of my carnivorous plants, fwiw

top left: red piranha, it has little triangle like jagged teeth, and turns completely red in summer.
bottom left: red dragon (akai ryu) - regular long teeth on the trap margins, turns completely red
top right: my trough of various fly trap species.
bottom right: my pride and joy.. "darlingtonia californica" - aka the cobra plant. i have the oregon mountain variety, they are just over a year old and should reach about knee high in a few yrs time

Attachments

• 100_3734.jpg
    100_3734.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_3736.jpg
    100_3736.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_3737.jpg
    100_3737.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 100_3935.jpg
    100_3935.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 187
Wow those look amazing! I did keep the ID labels with each plant(there was two label for each). Thanks for the planting tips as well, the wife was up late again planting the seeds you sent...I'll let you know when I see sprouts.

those look great, I really like the carnivorous plants, wouldn't mind doing a setup for them one day.
go to flytrapcare.com and get yourself some.

you get good value in a mystery box, but the store chooses what plants you get.

they sell peat/sand mix's too, incase you cant get good peat moss locally

I joined the site yesterday, you post over there much more frequently than here. It's very exciting to start something new, not that I know everything about keeping fish but these plants are something entirely different.

HUKIT said:
That's literally the first question my wife asked how big do they get? And you could see Audrey 2 in her eyes.

I just want to break out into song.... Little shop... Little shop of horror! Lol cool plants with a way cool surprise :)

are venus fly traps Australian native? Because you got seeds from down under i see :) Glad to know we are exporting something other than coal and cattle :)

oh heck no.

the only wild fly trap's left are in a 100km radius of wilmington, north carolina.

i didnt send fly trap seeds from oz, i sent seed from pinguicula sethos (mexican butterwort) and also Drosera Capensis (sticky sundews from africa)

its legal to send or receive almost any type of seed, but you cant export/import live plants or live plant tissue without C.I.T.E.S permit

ping sethos. its leaves feel like melted butter, small bugs get stuck and the plant basically drools on them.
Sethos.jpg

drosera capensis, the sundew. this plant gave the idea for "fly paper"
the bug lands and gets stuck by the dew drops on the end of each of the hairs.
it then stimulates the red hairs when struggling, and the leaf actually curls, twists, and wraps its way around a bug over a short period (maybe an hour?)
24093929.jpg

tumblr_kyd1feaefg1qzgmzro1_500.jpg

oh heck no.

the only wild fly trap's left are in a 100km radius of wilmington, north carolina.

Sethos.jpg

tumblr_kyd1feaefg1qzgmzro1_500.jpg

It's funny you say that since my wife is from North Carolina and that's the first thing she said "I've seen lots of them in my back yard" after I stated that I've never seen one before.

Back
Top Bottom