Looking for a compatible 3rd fish for coldwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, my question is... What kinds of fish could live in harmony with my sons 2 3-4inch comets without heater ofcourse? I was doing a little research and I saw that some species were mentioned, but I would love to get a koi... I think they are pretty Goldfish related fish. But I know that they get huge very fast and will quickly outgrow the 20 gallon I have. I really don't want to go more gallons at the moment, so i know a koi is out... but what other small fish could live in these conditions and would the two befriend as a "3rd wheel"? :D

Dojo loaches will do ok in cold water tanks. As far as the tank being overstocked well that really depends on your filtration and upkeep as much as the particular fish. I strongly doubt you would be going overboard with a 3rd fish in a 20 gallon tank if it is well maintained. I've run numerous tanks stocked well above the "limit" without problems.

Dojo loaches will do ok in cold water tanks. As far as the tank being overstocked well that really depends on your filtration and upkeep as much as the particular fish. I strongly doubt you would be going overboard with a 3rd fish in a 20 gallon tank if it is well maintained. I've run numerous tanks stocked well above the "limit" without problems.

Yeah, I have seen the loaches mentioned as well. I have a good filter for 20-30 gallons, and the maintenance i do is very good... testing the water regularly, it's always balanced well. Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at those type of fish you mentioned.

That's great that you've had good luck with overstocked tanks, but the bottom line is that it's really not a best or advisable practice.

Comet goldfish get far too big physically for a 20g and their bioload will become increasingly difficult as time goes on.

Keeping the animals alive and giving them an adequate and comfortable home long term are not one in the same.

Last edited:
No they are not and I'm not suggesting keeping 300 fish in a tank either. There is a lot of wiggle room with the so called rules of how to stock a tank and to suggest otherwise is simply wrong.

No they are not and I'm not suggesting keeping 300 fish in a tank either. There is a lot of wiggle room with the so called rules of how to stock a tank and to suggest otherwise is simply wrong.

It's not about 'so called rules'. Do you know how big comet goldfish get? It's a fact that they get far too large for a 20g, if cared for, and the water volume simply is not enough to keep them healthy unless you are willing to do ridiculous amounts of water changes.

It really has nothing to do with right or wrong, or wiggle room.

Back to the OP, you have tons of coldwater options, but definitely consider upgrading the tank first and foremost before adding more bioload.

There is also a difference between wiggle room and poor advice that is not in the best interest of the fish.
I am going to agree that adding more to your tank at this point in time is not advisable.
Glad you are testing the water and keeping it nice for them as they grow. With goldies, a lot of their growth is done early in life, so they are a species that will probably grow faster than you think.

Reactions: jlk
I wouldnt listen to this guy.I would rehome those guys u said you weren't looking to upgrade so it would be best for the fish these guys can get around a foot long so they will not be able to swim at all in there.U could have a nice community tank instead.

You can put dojo laches white cloud minnows some tetras and guppies like colder water and ivr had a pleco in my 75 gallon goldfish tank for a while with no problems

"Wiggle room" occurs with small, slim bodied freshwater tropical fish.

For comets, commons and shubunkins, you need 20 gallons per fish to give them the water conditions and space they need. That's one reason they are more suitable for ponds.

You have no wiggle room in your current tank.

Well I'll defer to the rest of you in terms of stocking although I disagree that the 3rd fish would be the back breaker in this set up.

I'm not too concerned about the space of 3 small fish... I'm more concerned about how to properly add a fish. I know it's more than picking out a fish, taking it home and dropping it in on 2 fish that are comfy already in their home with each other.

On another note the tank seems adequate for the two as it stands... They have not grown fast at all since I've had them, maybe an inch over the last 10 months. And the tank is like a mansion for them, as I've seen them doing both... hanging close together and on opposite ends of the tank sleeping spaced out. But they seem to be very close as in relating to each other, so that concerns me to add a 3rd wheel to the mix. I thought about adding 2 more, but knowing how tight Sharkey & Priscilla are I figured that would start some sort of turf wars inside of the tank between the pairs. Lol

I think what we are all trying to say is you should either rehome your goldfish because unless your doing 25-30% water changes daily (once per day) your fish can and will be come stunted in growth. The toxins in the water will build up, not to mention the poo floating around and the smell. Most fish (well any young) grow and develop in there first few years of life. Think about keeping your son, in your smallest bathroom, never letting him out, feeding him, and only changing his diaper once a week? Doesn't sound nice. Now add two more people in there. These fish grow huge in weeks and months not years. I would rehome them and get a bunch of smaller coldwater fish, such as mountain minnows. Also goldfish will eat anything that fits in their mouth, so if big enough it will eat what ever fish you add.

I think what we are all trying to say is you should either rehome your goldfish because unless your doing 25-30% water changes daily (once per day) your fish can and will be come stunted in growth. The toxins in the water will build up, not to mention the poo floating around and the smell. Most fish (well any young) grow and develop in there first few years of life. Think about keeping your son, in your smallest bathroom, never letting him out, feeding him, and only changing his diaper once a week? Doesn't sound nice. Now add two more people in there. These fish grow huge in weeks and months not years. I would rehome them and get a bunch of smaller coldwater fish, such as mountain minnows. Also goldfish will eat anything that fits in their mouth, so if big enough it will eat what ever fish you add.

Hi Oceangirl how are you, I remember you from my other thread when Sharkey wasn't doing well. Thanks for the advice.

Your welcome. I just thought maybe someone might clarify things. sometimes it takes outside eyes.

Ok update, as per the advice you all gave regarding compatible fishes, I went to the pet store today, and browsed around a little bit. The loaches that were supposed to be in with the goldies were all gone, and I was advised against adding minnows or anything else that was in the tropical area. I did also see some Cory's but they were in the heated tank area as well. They are 1/2 the size of my fish, haha that was odd b/c I thought my fish were small.
They look like some kool little catfish. Haha

Back
Top Bottom