Looking for recommendations for 48" programmable LED Strip light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanR

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

As the title says, I am looking for a LED strip light for my 48" aquarium, freshwater with no plants or low light plants that can be programmed to shut off/light up and specific times etc. I was thiiiiiiiiiiiis close to buying a Fluval Aquasky when I said sort of off-hand "And this works with just a regular timer right?" and I could see the store clerk's face drop like he knew he had just lost a customer. He explained I need a separate unit from Fluval to be able to have it auto shut off/turn on, otherwise I would have to use a remote control each time. Honestly, why would anyone want that kind of limitation, shouldn't that be built in to the light or some kind of auto-on feature so a regular timer can be used?

Anyhow, I looked up reviews on the Fluval timer and it's getting torn to pieces in most review regarding poor reliance and buttons that barely work, if at all.

What are people changing to? Should I just build my own LED hood from IKEA strip lights and go with that? They'll work with a timer if I get the regular white ones. I also don't mind paying for something built specifically for aquariums, just want something that won't break in a month and can be programmed to shut on and off during the day.

Thanks!
Dan

I have the aqua sky. The clerk is FOS. You don't need Fluvals over priced timer. Mine is on a 3$ timer I bought from a dollar store last year. If you do get the aqua sky, put the remote in a safe place because if you lose it you won't be able to turn it on or off.

You should look at the various Beamswork 48" models. Inexpensive, sleek chassis, timer is separate/optional (pretty sure it can run on a standard timer).

I have the aqua sky. The clerk is FOS. You don't need Fluvals over priced timer. Mine is on a 3$ timer I bought from a dollar store last year. If you do get the aqua sky, put the remote in a safe place because if you lose it you won't be able to turn it on or off.

Wtf really? So if you turn on the led strip with the remote, then unplug it and re-plug it in, it turns back on without having turn use the remote again? Ugh I hate stores sometimes...

Back
Top Bottom