Looking for some advice please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QueenMab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, new to the forum and am looking for some advice please?

I currently have 80 ltr and 60 ltr tanks which have been up and running for about 3 years. I've got neon rosy /black Ruby barbs in one and harlequin rasboros/dwarf neon rainbows in the other :) I've been wanting to upgrade to a single larger tank for quite some time.

I have today just bought a 190 ltr tank and cabinet which will be delivered next weekend. It's secondhand but it's in perfect condition - genuine reason for sale.

The issue is that it needs to go where the current 80ltr is. I don't have the room to set it up in another place and I'd never be able to move it once done.

I plan to use existing media and filters etc from current tanks alongside a new filter and so on. I appreciate that ideally the new tank would need to cycle first but I won't be able to do this and hope that the current media / substrate has enough bacteria etc. I don't plan to add any fish in the immediate future until everything settled (I only have about 16 in total).

Any advice on the best way to swap them over which will be least stressful for the fish?

Thank you

Last edited:
Are all your decorations/substrate going in? If so you will pretty much be cycled immediately. When i moved my stuff to a bigger tank I had my fish in a separate bin with the tank water until I had the new tank decorated and filled. I used all my plants, substrate and media filters from my old tank.

Hi, yes pretty much everything from both existing tanks will be going into the new one. I may have to add some additional gravel to what I have already but that's about it, I will be using everything I already have :)

Back
Top Bottom