Looking to start a tank in a couple months.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CTBowes6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've always wanted to start a saltwater reef tank, but have never gotten around to it. I am in college so the finances have never really added up. Recently, however, I gained a second job at a reef store in Orlando. As the only one at the store who doesn;t have a tank, I finally feel it is time to take the next step. I will be moving in about two months so I will wait a bit before starting. I'll be saving some cash in the meantime.

So I have some questions.

Due to space restraints and college living, I am looking at about a 30g tank. Would it be cheaper/more budget efficient to get an all in one system or buy stuff separately?

I am looking at keeping some fish, live rock, and corals, nothing too high maintenance.

I am also trying to map some of the expenses I will be running into. Any thoughts?

I've always wanted to start a saltwater reef tank, but have never gotten around to it. I am in college so the finances have never really added up. Recently, however, I gained a second job at a reef store in Orlando. As the only one at the store who doesn;t have a tank, I finally feel it is time to take the next step. I will be moving in about two months so I will wait a bit before starting. I'll be saving some cash in the meantime.

So I have some questions.

Due to space restraints and college living, I am looking at about a 30g tank. Would it be cheaper/more budget efficient to get an all in one system or buy stuff separately?

I am looking at keeping some fish, live rock, and corals, nothing too high maintenance.

I am also trying to map some of the expenses I will be running into. Any thoughts?

AIO vs build your own is a toss up. if you're looking for everything included for basic LPS, zoos, & mushrooms(all the easy stuff) most of the AIO tanks will have no problem with them. but you're stuck with everything they gave you. you could do a 29 standard tank & feel that you have more tank than in a 29 biocube. but thats just my opinion. it all comes down to what you like.

as far as cost, I know around here I can find 29g biocubes unmodded for 100-250$ depending on if they're the HQI or not. which is pretty much all you'll need other than a small powerhead, thermometer, test kits, salt, etc. (the usuals)

HTH

Ryan

edit:
CRAIGSLIST IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!! it will decide for you what type of tank you'll end up with because you'll find a deal you couldn't pass up.

Back
Top Bottom