Looking to start my first reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, Ive been in the hobby of aquaria for several years now. Doing just freshwater. I think its time I got my feet wet (pardon the pun) in saltwater. So, I was thinking of doing a smaller saltwater tank, perhaps 10 gallons, perhaps 40b, who knows... That's what I need you guys for, If you could, It would be awesome for one of you (or two, or three) to make a list of components I may need and possible recommendations for parts. Also some resources on the proper steps to take on the road to the promised land may prove helpful. I'm leaning more towards the 40b now, after learning about many limitations smaller tanks may have, but it all depends on price. Thanks for your input, and always appreciated opinions.
Best,
Skenny

If your leaning toward the 40b, just fall over into something a little bigger, Maybe a 55 to 75? As for items your gonna need, it isnt going to be cheap. Things to think of if what you long term tank plans? Right now ive got a 55 but my long term is shooting to 220-300G Tank. By knowing this you could get equipment rated for a larger tank and dish out a few bucks more now then another 200 bucks down the road.

As for items your gonna want...
Protein skimmer is a must on larger tanks, strong lighting depending on corals you wish to keep, sump would be recommended. If you go with a sump, your list gets longer, such as Overflow Box(If not reef ready), Pluming, return pump. As recommend a GFO and Carbon reactor, And the Biggest thing would be a good RODI Unit, Probly 5 stage would be good.

Dont be scared by the prices, its gonna be up there. Its totally worth the work to come home and see the reward everyday.

Ok, How much of a price difference would it be from a 40 to a 75? I'm really not even sure how much a 40 would cost with everything. I would be grateful If someone could give me a breakdown of parts, and what they may cost. My other option is to do a 20 or a 10 gallon, and move my FW fish over to a larger tank. How much would a 20 or a 10 gallon cost?

I had a 20G long tank a few years ago and to get it set up id say I had maybe 300bucks into it. Right now ive got my 55g going with a few corals and fish in it. Ill give you a breakdown on that.

Tank (Not Reef Ready) $55- Petco Sale.
Stand - traded for it, but youll be looking at $100.
CPR Deluxe Overflow box $120 (BRS)
Seaclone Protein Skimmer - $90 (Get something better)(Dr Smith & Foster)
Mag Drive 9 Return - $90 (Dr Smith & Foster)
Misc Return line Parts - $30-$60(Dr Smith & Foster)
2x 200 Watt Aquarium Heaters $15 Each (Junker from ebay)
10g Tank $10 - Petco Sale(This is my temp Sump)(Baffless)
Filter Sock Holder w/ 1 Sock - $20 (Ebay)
Spare filter sock - $6 (BRS)
GFO Reactor - $40 (BRS)
Pump for Reactor - $10-$20
GFO & Carbon $20-$40(BRS)
Flex Hose - $15 (ebay)
PVC Glue - $ 5 (Make sure its drinking water safe)
Live Rock 14 Pounds - $60 / $6-$7 a pound(Better off 99% Dry Rock)
Dry Rock 32 Pounds - $64 / $2 a pound (Reefrocks.net)
60 Pounds live sand - $75(Better with dry sand)(Amazon)
Odyssea 216Watt T5HO Light Fixture - $120 (Aqua Traders)
2x 800 GPH Powerheads - $55 (Off Brand from Ebay) Get ones with magnets Suction cups are junk.
Instant Ocean Marine Salt - $55 for 200G Box(Ebay) Which Last me about 2-3 Months
Portable RODI Unit - $65 (Ebay) Works alright but im going to upgrade instead of replacing filters

I Dont think I missed anything other then my live stock with is around $200. If youve got got any questions feel free to ask. Also keep in mind that a 55g tank.

Other Please Chime in on you to date tank costs.

Back
Top Bottom