Lost API test card..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gundy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I have officially lost my ammonia tester card for my API test kit. Any ideas where I can get a replacement? I figure I'd have to purchase a single API Ammonia drop test kit from the LFS. I tried looking on their website and couldn't find anything..

You could contact API but by the time they have them to you, it will be cheaper just to buy a replacement Ammonia kit. Let me see if I have any spare. I don't use the cards anymore since I don't test for Ammonia. They may have been tossed. I'll look tonight when I get home from work.

Appreciate it thanks!

I figured so on the issue of contacting them. I'd just buy a single kit, but I have barely used the kit for 3 weeks! So the ammonia testing bottles are relatively new. Guess I'd be well supplied if I turn that route :).

Are you still cycling or have an established tank? Ammonia is one of those wonderful toxins where we don't want to see any in the tank at all. All you need to know is what color is negative and if you see something different, you know its PWC time! I can't remember off the top of my head what the color chart looks like but seem to remember yellow was negative for ammonia.

Frankly both the ammonia and nitrIte tests are almost worthless except during cycling. If you have anything over zero in an established tank there is probably a good reason, and 90% of the time the fix is a large PWC to help correct the symptoms. Of the FW Master test kit I only occasionally use the nitrAte test to get a snapshot of how high they are (I have a planted tank), but even that's only occasional. It's great during cycling, but really doesn't have much use after that point.

Yellow is 0 Ammonia. Blue is 0 Nitrite. I don't use the cards either. If (and that's a rarity, maybe 3 times a year) I test I don't even use the cards.

Yeah I have three tanks that are cycled, but I also have two little small critter carriers ( plastic housing ) for some crayfish that I keep an eye on. I usually try and change the water once per week and try to avoid any ammonia readings. And thats what I was using the ammonia reading for. I'm overrun with wildlife at the moment and need to get more aquariums :D.

Back
Top Bottom