"Lost in the Sauce" Starting a 125g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

perrymedik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
To say it most simply, there is to much info everywhere!!!!! GARF seems to be knowledgable but still to much info. I'm a K.I.S.S. kind of Guy when It comes to Salt Tanks. I breed African Cichlids and am getting rid of my 20 tanks and keeping only my 150g and my 125g.

The 150g is already an established AC tank.

The 125 Currently is loaded with Yellow Labs, but when they are gone, I am going to make it a salt. And this is where the confusion begins.

I need to know very simply how to start. What is essesential at the get go and what can wait until later. My head is swimming with info.

I would like to have both Coral and fish.

My tank is currently not Drilled, but I plan to drill it. It is also being filtered with (2) Emperor 400 which I have been told I can use as filtration for a salt water tank. This would be optimal for me to get started with and then add the sump in the following weeks or months.

But Please tell me what equipment I need. What kind of sand, live rock and so in is recommended.

Like I said, I am lost in the sauce!

Buy/read the "New Marine Aquarium" book, good to the point info. And search the forum under getting started. Every question you could dream of asking has already been asked here.

When I converted I had the same questions and there was so much info everywhere! Lighting seemed most important for a reef, not as much so for FOLR. filtration I think allot of people combine types, LR is a great biological filter. definitely start off with and use RO water, prevents problems later. When we tried to decide substrate we choose aragonite reef sand. Next time I'm doing playsand its much cheaper. About.com is allot of info also, hope this helps and welcome to the addiction! :)

Back
Top Bottom